Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sharpening Wheel or Belt Sander for Broadheads?

Jamie

Ohio
I have tried sharpening two and three blade heads pretty much every reasonable way it can be done, and no, there is not a better way to sharpen broadheads in less time than using a good sharp mill bastard and stones or diamond hones, in my opinion. Even using a guide system like Gatco or Lansky does not really save any time, but the results are pretty much guaranteed. With enough practice, you can sharpen them by hand pretty quickly if you can learn to keep the angle of the head to the stone consistent without using a guide of some sort. The real trick is to establish the edge with the file. Honing is pretty easy if you do that part right. Put the burr on, take the burr off...

I posted this same question on Saddle Hunter.com and one of the guys suggested buying an 8" bench grinder and using this sharpening wheel. He uses it for all of his knives and 2 blade broadheads. Apparently, it takes a fraction of the time to get the same edge with no metal loss to the blade's edge itself. The paper wheel is the only portion of this kit, that he uses to get the desired edge. (y)

This might be a worthwhile investment. 🤔

might be great for tools and knives, but that is hard pass for me on broadheads.. Maybe is works better for saddle hunters. :unsure::LOL: Good luck polishing a three blade head with that paper wheel.
I will agree with you, on the 3 blade broadheads. 💯

I'm reasonably certain that this method of sharpening is reserved for 2 blade or 4 blade heads (minus the bleeder blade).
However, I did see a video of a 3 blade being sharpened on a wheel, but it was being pulled from the heel to the point.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is what I use .
File if I need it, wheelie sharpener,jewel stick and leather strop. Does the job and makes em bleed out quick when hit.
20220813_110133.jpg

I decided that a 6" bench grinder with a paper sharpening wheel, would be the best option for sharpening broadheads. :)

I purchased a 6" bench grinder at Menards, for $45.
Then I ordered a set of sharpening wheels off of Amazon, for $37. This is a set of 2 wheels. One is for getting the edge started and the other one is to give it a fine polished edge. They should be here in a couple of days and I'll get started. :cool:When I get it all figured out, I'll post some photos.

Reactions: Stressless
That reminds me of a guy I knew years ago that swore up and down he was the best knife sharpener around. I let him sharpen a brand new knife my wife gave me one year because I was having a tough time putting an edge on it. He returned it to me and it was so scratched up I was absolutely pissed off that he ruined that blade like that. All the buffing in the world couldn’t remove the scratches and dings from him running it over a piece of shit bench grinder. And no the blade wasn’t much sharper than what I had handed over to him in trust.

• Wow
Reactions: Bowhunter57
That reminds me of a guy I knew years ago that swore up and down he was the best knife sharpener around. I let him sharpen a brand new knife my wife gave me one year because I was having a tough time putting an edge on it. He returned it to me and it was so scratched up I was absolutely pissed off that he ruined that blade like that. All the buffing in the world couldn’t remove the scratches and dings from him running it over a piece of shit bench grinder. And no the blade wasn’t much sharper than what I had handed over to him in trust.
I can understand your frustration, but I think you can see that the guy in this video is handling the blade with care and isn't being wreckless and scratching the entire blade up, just to put an edge on it. :)

I can understand your frustration, but I think you can see that the guy in this video is handling the blade with care and isn't being wreckless and scratching the entire blade up, just to put an edge on it. :)
Yes, seems to know what he is doing, definitely experienced using that. I guess my point I was attempting to make is sometimes it's better to get things done the right way with hard work rather than try short-cuts. A lot of great advice here!!

Yes, seems to know what he is doing, definitely experienced using that. I guess my point I was attempting to make is sometimes it's better to get things done the right way with hard work rather than try short-cuts. A lot of great advice here!!
I'll be the first one to admit that I was looking for a "short-cut" on this sharpening project. :rolleyes: These single bevels are made out of some serious steel, which is a good thing. At the same time, I don't feel like spending 45 minutes or more, on 1 broadhead.

As long as I'm not grinding off 5 grains of the weight, I'll be happy. The bevel angle is already provided. All I need to do is hone it to a razor's edge....and do so, delicately. :cool:

Reactions: Big_Holla
I'm at a loss as to what the hell I'm doing with this sharpening wheel. 🤔 I've sharpened several knives around the house...all kinds of blade designs and they'll slice through the thinnest piece of paper and shred it into fine feathers. 💯

These fixed broadheads and broadhead blades from replaceable heads are difficult, at best to get an edge on them. I'm going to get me a needle-nosed pair of vice grips to extend my reach and keep the lower jaws away from the wheel and see how that works. The angle I'm having to hold the broadhead at is giving me fits. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, on the upside...I don't have a dull knife anywhere in the house. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackalope
I'm at a loss as to what the hell I'm doing with this sharpening wheel. 🤔 I've sharpened several knives around the house...all kinds of blade designs and they'll slice through the thinnest piece of paper and shred it into fine feathers. 💯

These fixed broadheads and broadhead blades from replaceable heads are difficult, at best to get an edge on them. I'm going to get me a needle-nosed pair of vice grips to extend my reach and keep the lower jaws away from the wheel and see how that works. The angle I'm having to hold the broadhead at is giving me fit. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, on the upside...I don't have a dull knife anywhere in the house. :cool:
I'd be careful with vice grips on the heads, they possibly could bend/distort the blades/head in some way if set too tight.

Jamie

Ohio

These fixed broadheads and broadhead blades from replaceable heads are difficult, at best to get an edge on them. I'm going to get me a needle-nosed pair of vice grips to extend my reach and keep the lower jaws away from the wheel and see how that works. The angle I'm having to hold the broadhead at is giving me fit. :rolleyes:

I hate to be "that guy", but I told you so. ;)