Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shawnee State Forest Deer Hunting

I'm pretty certain that the above referenced subject has been beat around on this site for years. Please tell me about the whitetail hunting in Shawnee State Forest. I've grouse hunted there a number of times and, at times, seen deer sign.

Are there many deer in there?? Does it get bow-hunted or gun-hunted heavily?? I know that it is gogone' tough country to navigate. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. HoosierH

Isaacorps

Columbus
Welcome to the site. If you plan on hunting Shawnee, pack a lunch. And a pack mule. Rugged is an understatement. I’m sure there are some world class deer roaming those hills but you will WORK for them. Bridle trails throughout help somewhat for access but it is a tough row to hoe for sure. Good luck

Welcome to the site. If you plan on hunting Shawnee, pack a lunch. And a pack mule. Rugged is an understatement. I’m sure there are some world class deer roaming those hills but you will WORK for them. Bridle trails throughout help somewhat for access but it is a tough row to hoe for sure. Good luck
Thx for the comment, Isaacorps. I know that Shawnee as rough as a "cob". It's those "world class", even an Ohio bruiser or two that gets my juices flowing.

Reactions: Gern186

Bigcountry40

I'm pretty certain that the above referenced subject has been beat around on this site for years. Please tell me about the whitetail hunting in Shawnee State Forest. I've grouse hunted there a number of times and, at times, seen deer sign.

Are there many deer in there?? Does it get bow-hunted or gun-hunted heavily?? I know that it is gogone' tough country to navigate. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. HoosierH
Welcome to the forum, I am more interested in hearing about the grouse hunting you did- How long ago? Did you have any success? Do grouse even exist in Ohio?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Welcome to the forum, I am more interested in hearing about the grouse hunting you did- How long ago? Did you have any success? Do grouse even exist in Ohio?
I used to grouse hunt regularly 20+ years ago in and around EVWA. The last grouse i saw down there was probably about 15 years ago while deer hunting.

I know of a few small populations but don't hunt them hoping they'll grow. I know there are a few around zaleski but you'll put miles on your boots and having a dog is almost required.