Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

She Broke.

Jamie

Ohio
good luck. I've been wrestling with my tiller for three years. this was a low end rear tine tiller made by Ardisam, sold under the Scott's name at Home Depot, I think. I bought it 20 years ago, did absofuckinglutely nothing to it besides put gas and oil in it for 17 years, so I shouldn't complain about one serious tune up two years ago, forward and reverse drive belts last spring, and now the reverse drive belt again today. have really gotten my money's worth out of it, and haven't taken care of it at all, lol.
correction, for some reason I did not replace the reverse drive belt last year along with the forward drive belt, so it was the original. I'm a retard for not doing them both at the same time, but I I have two new belts on my tiller now. :rolleyes: was considerably less taxing that I figured. these NAPA aftermarket belts look to be much higher quality than the originals the forward drive belt looked as new as the day I put it on last year, and I've turned over our garden four times since. gonna be five here in a minute. my garden getting planted this weekend.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Run em dry is what my dad used to say. Of course I learn the hard way too.

This one was my grandfathers. Sat outside at my parents. Had vines growing up through it. We'll see. The generator looks ok. No real rust on the motor. Receptacles seem good. We'll see when she runs if it'll make the angry pixies.

20210606_213016.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Stop at a local shop. See what they'd charge to drop it in their ultrasonic cleaner. Clean that old carb up. Put new o-rings and gaskets on it. Run it. I'd still order another though. Sometimes the old ones clean up a lot better than you'd think and work better than the new ones.

Reactions: Mickey Merrie

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Probably sat with ethanol fuel too.

Had about a half tank in it that was so old it didn't even smell like fuel anymore. Smelled like a gallon of water with a splash of paint thinner in it. Pulled the fuel shutoff and screen today and washed out the tank. Got new lines, shutoff w screen, air filter, carb and fuel pump coming. The motor turns so with a completely new fuel system she should run. Will she juice though is the question.

Reactions: Mike and Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Stop at a local shop. See what they'd charge to drop it in their ultrasonic cleaner. Clean that old carb up. Put new o-rings and gaskets on it. Run it. I'd still order another though. Sometimes the old ones clean up a lot better than you'd think and work better than the new ones.

Yeahhhh. Well the jet was rusted in the riser and I stripped the slot trying to get her out. That's a good idea though. I may try to drill that thing out. If I can get her and get the carb body cleaned up it may still work with a rebuild kit. We'll see how this chinaman special carb runs too though.

• Haha
Reactions: hickslawns

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was pulling the capacitor numbers on my HVAC units today to order spares because I don't want to be ass raped when a $11 capacitor goes out and found this shit.

Lazy ass mother fucking piece of shit HVAC technician. For the $200 or more they probably charged the last homeowner to install a $12 capacitor, the least they could have done was strap it in with a zip tie. 🙄.

20210609_181840.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel your pain, Joe. I've come across more bird-brained half-assed shit in my house the past few months it'll make your head spin. It's so frustrating. And so bewildering that people, at some point in time, decided that was an acceptable way to do something. I've got a long list of people I can't identify that I'd like to kick in the nuts... and that list just keeps growing.

Jamie

Ohio
A "contractor" built my house and lived in it for a while. we are the third owners beyond the moron that built this place. everything in this house is, well was, jacked in some way. after 21 years, we have lived here longer than all the other owners put together, and have uncovered and subsequently remedied dozens of half baked head scratchers like Joe's capacitor. house was build in 1983. every time I've had to fix something I discovered a new level of laziness and incompetence. we've replaced all the big things now, but the most moronic and egregious was when we had the roof re-shingled. both the house and garage had long ridge vents made of aluminum. several years before, I discovered a small leak in the roof. I had no trouble finding the problem. ridge vent nailed on the roof through the shingles and sheeting. nail rusted away and left a small hole. I fixed it, but when the roofers tore off those old ridge vents, they discovered that the ridge had cap shingles on it! ridge vents there just for show, apparently, presumably to pass an inspection or something. nobody is dumb enough to do that by accident. if it weren't for the gable vents and perforated soffits all around, we would have had some real ventilation problems in the attic. if you want something done right...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We did a buddies roof years ago, and besides the 24” on center trusses. The ridge line wasn’t cut out for the ridge vent like yours Jamie….. The first time doing a roof where you had too make sure you walked on the trusses as we weren’t sure the sheeting would hold up….. Fackshoemakers

One of my biggest pet peeves is the saving of money with smaller diameter copper piping and not putting shutoffs above and below the floor. Also not using ball valves... Might have saved a hundred bucks on the whole house! When I re did the bathroom I found fiber board as the base under linoleum. Was able to remove most of it with a vacuum! Never enough time to do it right but always the time to do it over! Had to tear out and re concrete the garage because they didn't tamp the fill around the edge of the walls. It settled so much that most of the rubble went into the void! Oh and then we installed the drains WITH PIPING this time! Did I mention we used actual wire and re bar tied and lifted during the pour with the re bar secured into the blocks?