Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

She Broke.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Next up is to dial her in and make sure she's putting out some good clean angry pixies at 60hz.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I feel your pain, Joe. I've come across more bird-brained half-assed shit in my house the past few months it'll make your head spin. It's so frustrating. And so bewildering that people, at some point in time, decided that was an acceptable way to do something. I've got a long list of people I can't identify that I'd like to kick in the nuts... and that list just keeps growing.

I just don't understand it. I mean I kinda get it if its the homeowner because a lot of people are ignorant of the right way to do something, others are just lazy and half assing something is good enough for them, but for a person who is getting paid to do a job and pulls crap like that it sets a rage off in me.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
………….it sets a rage off in me.
4D6DC4A0-DC91-4D4C-9136-EA28C6DA2865.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Joe since the threat of hurricanes and bad weather are common down there do you stock up on gasoline and store it at peak seasons or perhaps year round? Ever think of a storage tank or something like that?

I think fuel storage is a great topic, and would be fitting in TOO Homesteading thread. I struggle with how much to keep on hand and the state laws that limit qty. and the laws that go with having a storage tank.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I think fuel storage is a great topic, and would be fitting in TOO Homesteading thread. I struggle with how much to keep on hand and the state laws that limit qty. and the laws that go with having a storage tank.
I have a boat with a 55 gallon internal gas tank that trumps those laws…. Something too think about when you have other toys laying around. Keep them full and treated with a quality fuel treatment….

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I have a boat with a 55 gallon internal gas tank that trumps those laws…. Something too think about when you have other toys laying around. Keep them full and treated with a quality fuel treatment….

Yes sir! That's a given, just from the basic maintenance aspect in regards to tank moisture and good clean fuel. You don't fill up before you use, you fill up after you use everytime. Between vehicles, toys, power tools, etc., I think this is a good one for the other thread to not lose the content.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe since the threat of hurricanes and bad weather are common down there do you stock up on gasoline and store it at peak seasons or perhaps year round? Ever think of a storage tank or something like that?

Buddy if she's big enough to knock out power for more than a couple days my ass won't be here to need gas. When we got hit by cat 2 hurricane Zeta last October we lost power at 8pm. It came back on for about 30 minutes at midnight but they found a problem in a right of way and shut it back off. They had it back on by 11am.

Cat 3 or bigger and I'll be getting out of the way. The house has a smart meter and can check if I have power from my phone. So it'll just be an impromptu vacation to somewhere until I get power back. 👍

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ha! Ha! hell we have lost power for a week because of a bad thunderstorm!!

Yep. Different codes. Most of the power is burred. Katrina destroyed everything that could be destroyed so the tall long leaf pines that usually cause a shitload of damage are only 15 years old at this point. We did have some people out for 3-4 days but it largely depends on what is broken and how many people can be restored by fixing it. If the reason someone is out of power is a transformer that only feeds 3 people they're going to be waiting a while. God help you if you lose your individual service drop you'll be last on the list. Everything in our area is burred though.

There is also a great spirit of community. This area of the country has long suffered as being the bastard child of the US. Just look at the response from Katrina vs the little storm named sandy that wasn't even a hurricane when it hit Jersey so they named it "Super storm Sandy". New Orleans got a lot of press during Katrina, but the MS gulf coast was completely destroyed, yet most don't even know Ms was hit. People around here don't wait for help. Be it a hurricane, a gulf oil spill, or a missing boater, individuals and groups like the cajun navy put on their boots and help their commmunity. If there are trees in the road people cut them, If there is a road flooded someone is there in a boat ferrying people, If your neighbor needs help or a dry roof over their heads they stay with you.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Power restoration has come a long ways also...

Oh yeah it has. And mutual aid is a sight to behold. When Michael hit panama city a couple of years ago they had to put in 6,823 power poles damaged by the storm. Even with that and the rigging they had power fully restored in 9 days. Granted they didn't give two fucks about phone, internet, or other underground wires. Drill that hole, drop in the pole, and foam it in. They cut the At&T underground fiber something like 400 times. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: giles

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh yeah it has. And mutual aid is a sight to behold. When Michael hit panama city a couple of years ago they had to put in 6,823 power poles damaged by the storm. Even with that and the rigging they had power fully restored in 9 days. Granted they didn't give two fucks about phone, internet, or other underground wires. Drill that hole, drop in the pole, and foam it in. They cut the At&T underground fiber something like 400 times. :ROFLMAO:
Why are they still using overhead power lines in those areas?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Why are they still using overhead power lines in those areas?

I believe most of the new stuff has to be buried in residential neighborhoods. When they're doing power restoration they don't have time to bury it though. They didn't even backfill dirt. They use a fast drying expanding foam that cements it in place in the hole.

content_dam_up_en_articles_2016_08_pole_setting_foam_for_setting_straightening_distribution_an...png

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I believe most of the new stuff has to be buried in residential neighborhoods. When they're doing power restoration they don't have time to bury it though. They didn't even backfill dirt. They use a fast drying expanding foam that cements it in place in the hole.

View attachment 129199
around us they’re replacing poles and running new lines. All the new subdivisions are buried and ours is buried until you get too the top of the driveway. Makes no sense too me why they don’t just bury them all that they can.

Reactions: giles