Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting Does - Early Season or Late Season

I've had this discussion in person with a few hunters and thought I'd get some opinions from you guys. :unsure:

* Do you think that shooting a doe, early in the season, reduces your odds of getting a buck?
* A live Doe is an excellent attractant for a buck, but if the Doe gets shot and removed from the area, does that actually reduce your odds of seeing a buck in the area?
* Will the bucks just hunt harder for a Doe or will they actually leave the area?
* Are you better off waiting to shoot any of the Does, until after you've shot the buck of your choice?

I used to wait to shoot a Doe, until after I'd shot a buck, but now I'm wondering if it matters at all. :sneaky: The last 2 years of my deer hunting, I've shot mature Does with no regard to waiting and was still able to shoot a buck at some point during the season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In my opinion it makes zero difference. On one property we will have a pile of does early in the season. If we do not dump corn (we usually do not), there will be very few deer of any kind using the place. The reason is we have the only Ag for miles on our place. We only have 20 acres of ag, but it is surrounded by miles of hardwoods and pasture. The deer that are there in early season will leave after harvest. If we want one early, we shoot em before they leave.