Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should Ohio put a bounty on Coyotes?

Should Ohio put a bounty on Coyotes?

• Total voters

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have to admit that I wanted to say "No, they are not out of control", but had to go for "Yes, I wanna be a bounty hunter." I am sure there are areas in which they are a true 'problem'. In my area, they are here. I don't know if I would go so far as to say a problem, but at the rate they multiply, I do believe they are going to become a problem if we do not stay on top of them.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
OK...so here's a thought...let's say that all Ohio goes on a bigass coyote-killing spree and their numbers are dramatically reduced.....what negative effects if any would that have on the state's bio-balance?

(I'd love to say I was a bounty hunter...and would shoot any yote on sight <and I've only seen one for about 5 seconds>.....but I'm leaning towards voting no because I'm not convinced on the science of the thing)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
OK...so here's a thought...let's say that all Ohio goes on a bigass coyote-killing spree and their numbers are dramatically reduced.....what negative effects if any would that have on the state's bio-balance?

(I'd love to say I was a bounty hunter...and would shoot any yote on sight <and I've only seen one for about 5 seconds>.....but I'm leaning towards voting no because I'm not convinced on the science of the thing)

That's a tough one, Dan. It's hard to say how many, if any, negative effects would result from that. This makes me think of the movie Back to the Future... where Doc tells Marty not to touch a thing in the past, due to the potential consequences in the future. My guess is that obviously small game and rodent populations would skyrocket... what do these animals eat?... mostly plants... so as a result, natural flora would probably diminish, which could potentially cause non-native and/or invasive plant species to flourish... so then depending on what happens to the vegetation, insect populations could drastically change... from the plants and insects, the entire food chain above them could be impacted... the possibilities are endless. It could even go another way... increased small game and rodents could then increase raptor populations. Who knows where it could lead from there. Obviously this is all probably an exaggeration, but I wouldn't call it impossible either. Predicting the results of removing a species from the food chain is pretty tough to do... lots of unknowns out there.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Coyotes replaced wolves. I'm not saying they're good, but they replaced the native predator and took advantage of an open niche in the food chain. I've always said that I would never kill an animal that I would not intend to eat, but a coyote is an exception. If I ever get one, I'm sending it to badger to skin out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've always said that I would never kill an animal that I would not intend to eat, but a coyote is an exception

I agree with you Mike, but with one exception. Ground hogs. Many groundhogs have been the demise of farmer's crops and barn floors. I will do what I can to help our local farmers. Some of them are where I get permission to hunt.

In regards to Dan's question and in response (or addition to) Jim's reply I would say I agree with Jim. I disagree with the thought the invasive plants would take over. I believe the deer population, small game, and turkey population would help to take care of some of the extra plant growth. I believe the birds, small game, and fox would rebound as well. Hard to speculate how fast they would rebound, but I think somewhat of a resurgence would take place. Not sure about some of the winged friends. I don't know a ton about them but believe lack of cover has been partially responsible for their demise along with the coyote. Urban sprawl? I also think you might find an increase in some of the other fur bearing critters which have been on the decline. Badger might need to chime in here. Minks? Muskrats? Or was it urban sprawl and a hot fur market that brought them down? Just a few added thoughts.

I don't know that we are going to see a bounty any time in the "near" future (10 yrs or less). I don't think we are going to see a dramatic increase in coyote hunters. Those taking up the sport I do not believe are going to keep up with the rising number of yotes. Just some more thoughts.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Okay Dale how do you really feel about them???? Quit pulling your punches man...... rotflmao

Sorry J, I've always had a hard time expressing my inner self! :banana:

Coyotes replaced wolves. I'm not saying they're good, but they replaced the native predator and took advantage of an open niche in the food chain. I've always said that I would never kill an animal that I would not intend to eat, but a coyote is an exception. If I ever get one, I'm sending it to badger to skin out.

Mike, as much as I bitch about them, I love seeing them bouncing in a trap or snare. If you ever need help skinning one, I'd be glad to help out.

I agree with you Mike, but with one exception. Ground hogs. Many groundhogs have been the demise of farmer's crops and barn floors. I will do what I can to help our local farmers. Some of them are where I get permission to hunt.

In regards to Dan's question and in response (or addition to) Jim's reply I would say I agree with Jim. I disagree with the thought the invasive plants would take over. I believe the deer population, small game, and turkey population would help to take care of some of the extra plant growth. I believe the birds, small game, and fox would rebound as well. Hard to speculate how fast they would rebound, but I think somewhat of a resurgence would take place. Not sure about some of the winged friends. I don't know a ton about them but believe lack of cover has been partially responsible for their demise along with the coyote. Urban sprawl? I also think you might find an increase in some of the other fur bearing critters which have been on the decline. Badger might need to chime in here. Minks? Muskrats? Or was it urban sprawl and a hot fur market that brought them down? Just a few added thoughts.

I don't know that we are going to see a bounty any time in the "near" future (10 yrs or less). I don't think we are going to see a dramatic increase in coyote hunters. Those taking up the sport I do not believe are going to keep up with the rising number of yotes. Just some more thoughts.

Phil, in my woods there's plenty of mink around, and yes the rat population is low. I think low water levels have more to do with that than anything else.

Them yotes have done a number on the fox around here which I hate to see. They do get blamed for some things I don't think they are fully responsible for. Owls, hawks, coon, and cats do more damage than most people realize. I guess it's not really damage as far as the food chain goes, other than the non native and feral damage.

I could also see urban sprawl and agricultural chemicals adding flavor to the soup.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
They do get blamed for some things I don't think they are fully responsible for. Owls, hawks, coon, and cats do more damage than most people realize. I guess it's not really damage as far as the food chain goes, other than the non native and feral damage.

CJ was explaining to me that CROWS do an incredible amount of damage...I used to think they ate corn but apparently they prey/disturb other species too.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
CJ was explaining to me that CROWS do an incredible amount of damage...I used to think they ate corn but apparently they prey/disturb other species too.

Yep... I usually see more crows over a dead animal carcass than vultures. They'll eat just about anything.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I don't know what impact they have had on the deer but I do know they follow and keep a close eye on them. I heard 2 barking and seen one of them chase 2 deer out of the CRP field and across the road last year. Those deer where full grown so I can only guess they wouldn't hesitate killing and eating one if given a chance.
:D.

Smart little fugger's! push the deer to the road in hopes it gets hit and is less work for them to chase down. Spin that angle to the DNR, it is really the yotes that push the deer onto the road.

I have about a dozen trail pics of at least 4 different yotes were I 'm at. found 2 piles with deer hair in them this year as well. I don't want them around, and will kill all of them I can, but I won't put a dent in them where I'm hunting.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I had a ton of Coyote sighting this year, as posted early this season I had a pack of 6 come in the first or second week of October. Trail cams have been flooded with yote pictures and less deer sightings.... I will hunt them more this January and February than I have in past years bounty or no bounty, but I would say there is a problem!

AVIDOutdoors

My issue with this is.. I currently am forced (by my wife) to spend HUNDREDS of dollars a year so my boys can play sports at school. The prices keep going up because state education funding keeps going down...
So I would say NO, not until the idiots running this state save enough money to pay for our kids to go to public schools, should they spend a penny on paying people to kill coyotes.. Just my opinion