Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shroom ID Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I left it there. Felt good with the ID, but thought I remembered a few of you guys saying they weren't the best of eating. I don't need to forage that bad, so it's there for someone if they want it. Public land.

Reactions: triple_duece

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
5E145E4C-AF3D-4E18-9DED-7A65CD4F157D.jpeg
8AE975BA-5352-4C65-809B-E95C949C52E3.jpeg
5A570F5C-53FB-427B-A28C-E8E3EF8F5E01.jpeg

If these are edible, there’s enough here have with dinner for a long time ...they are growing all over a dead oak tree.

Jamie

Ohio
those are Chicken-of-the-Woods and they are friggin' delicious. those look to be prime for the cutting. don't rip them off the tree. cut them with a smooth edge knife, like a filet knife, leaving the base attached. they not only taste good, but have pronounced anti-inflammatory and other medicinal properties. that's a big score, Sarge. Go get em!!! I canned some last year and it worked ok, but they are best eaten fresh. they'll keep several days in the fridge. I sautéed them, beer battered and deep fried, and grilled them like steaks. home run every way I cooked them. you'll love them.

Jamie

Ohio
inspired by Bowkills score, for the first time, I cut some of the nice flush of Oyster mushrooms that Nancy found today while gathering Chanterelles. these are very tasty. this particular bunch seemed to be perfect, no bugs on them and very fresh looking.

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

we actually found two other flushes of Oyster mushrooms while looking for Chants. all were in good condition for cutting. these are so good, I'm tempted to hike my ass back to get more of these. pretty long walk, but they are really nice table fare.

Jamie

Ohio
as an aside, oddly enough, Nancy found these not 20 yards from where I cut a shit ton of Chanterelles last week. they either weren't there last Thursday or I somehow did not see them. I probably overlooked them as I was suffering from gold fever at the time. :D

Chass

The Hills
This morning while checking some traps around the chicken coup I noticed my dead ash trees are producing oysters well. They exploded quickly. Cut a few off and tossed in some salt water as they were covered in bugs and went to work. Excited to try them as I've never had them before.