Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sickening

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, the quest to get my 10 year old, Kody, his first buck (deer for that matter) started off bad. Our set up is right where I shot my buck earlier this season. My dad was bored and asked to come so I sat in my stand and he sat in the blind with Kody. It was pretty neat being the eye in the sky. We had three doe come in early. A spike after them. Then 2 more doe... Then a decent 8 point. The 8 ended up being good enough for Kody. I was trying to video the buck, but he was behind a cluster of leaves. As he turns broadside to the blind I hear the crossbow go off and thwack! Kody nailed him. The buck turns to run and I can see half of the arrow sticking out of his side. The shot looks like good placement, but, like I said, I was partially blocked.
We proceed to look for blood as it gets dark and can't find any. Oh no...
Now the thunder begins. It is now dark and a storm is rolling in.
It started to rain and we had no choice but to leave.
Like a dummy I never even checked the weather forecast. It was a nice evening and I left it at that.
We went back today. There were 5 of us combing the property and we found nothing. It was mission impossible today. Our only hope is that, since crossbow bolts are so short and I saw so much sticking out, it was a shoulder shot.
Hopefully the buck survived and we will see him again someday.
This is Kody's first try at hunting and I thought he handled himself very well. He tooK his time and made correct shot choice. It's just heartbreaking for both sides that this one is hurt and got away.
I'm not sure what else we couldve done different other than avoiding a hunt when it is raining or will rain.

Last edited:

rrr

That sucks, keep at it and I'm sure you will whack one.

As much as I hate these stories, and I think everyone does, it's very freshing to hear that 5 guys went out to look for it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sucks to hear you didn't find his buck. It happens to every hunter sooner or later and he is just getting his out of the way now :D.

Best of luck and hope he gets another crack at him or another biggin this year.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Sounds like you did what you could. I've already been on the trail of one lost deer this year and it's never fun. My buddy thought he drilled one, but his lack of experience combined with rain cost him the deer IMO. I've been down that road a couple times myself and it's a long, lonely walk. But it is part of the game. Hopefully he shakes it off and bites the snake that bit him!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
It happens to everyone! Sounds like you did all you could, only thing you can do is get back up on the wagon and get back after'em!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Either way, your son had a deer in close and had an opportunity at him. He should have learned something from this. Maybe he learned the thrill that comes with having a nice buck in close? Maybe he learned sometimes life just isn't fair? It sucks to be him/you right now, but this happens. I feel real bad for you guys right now. I hope he can keep his spirits up and maybe this has lit the fire in him even more to get after it! Good luck the rest of the season!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Either way, your son had a deer in close and had an opportunity at him. He should have learned something from this. Maybe he learned the thrill that comes with having a nice buck in close? Maybe he learned sometimes life just isn't fair? It sucks to be him/you right now, but this happens. I feel real bad for you guys right now. I hope he can keep his spirits up and maybe this has lit the fire in him even more to get after it! Good luck the rest of the season!

You are absolutely right. He did learn from this.
And yes, he got a thrill out of it. After I climbed down from the stand and he and my dad came out of the blind, he was shaking all over. I, knowing why he was shaking, played dumb. I said, "Kody, what's wrong? Why you shakin'?" He said, "I don't know, maybe I'm cold." I just laughed. It was almost 70 degrees. I told him what you got is a helluva adrenaline rush!

He's already asking to go back out, so I think he's hooked!

Thanks for the support guys.