Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Site was down...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My upload speed has always sucked. The tec said he had to get the other guys to come out and adjust the amplifier on the lines to equal out the power in/out. Hope that will fix that 512 problem.

ISPs will give you a killer download speed but will throttle the upload? They don't want you running a server. Like this forum. The server this forum runs on needs the opposite. Not much download to the server but a bunch of upload to send users their requested data. So the rates will always be throttled. If the ISP didn't dick with things you would get the same up and down. But that is only available on business class services. Even then sometimes they throttle...

Sounds crappy right. Here is something even more crappy... They actually advertise throttling as a benefit..

Ever see this one company on TV or the radio advertise "speed Boost" or "power boost"... You're not getting a boost at all. in fact it's the opposite..

Ever start to download something and it comes out of the gate real fast. Like 10% in the first few seconds? Then it slows down for the remainder. That is what they are calling "power or speed boost".. They want you to believe they gave you this boost of power in the beginning...

Here is the shitty thing they are really doing... They allow you to do normal surfing at a fast speed. But as soon as you go to download a larger file it takes a moment for them to recognize it. Hence the reason you get the first 10% super fast... But once they realize you have a connection that is downloading data, they throttle you back. Thus slowing you down. They advertise this as a benefit like they are doing you a favor giving you that first 10% real fast. When in reality that's what you are supposed to get the entire 100% but they screw you on the last 90% and slow you down.. Then they sell those lies in an advertising campaign to attract customers.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Anyway possible to screw over the consumer lol. I couldn't get any other providers until here in the last few years. Time Warner cornered the market here. Even now it isn't much better specially if you want a bundle deal. It's ok though because everytime my agreement is up I go up to the local office and bitch and tell them I'm not paying the full price for their crappy service and to come take back their crap. They then say " What can we do to keep you as a customer " I always tell them to give me the NEW customer package and that keeps my bill around $100 a month instead of $170 a month LMAO.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
In my area they (windstream) will advertise 3 speeds but in reality,if you run a test, you are only getting the bottom 2. O they'll take the money for the highest speed but due to the hub or some sort of boo foo location I'm in the highest speed is not...

Fugger's

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
i got it a couple years ago now. can't remember the speed. just that they were ad. 3 but only the second highest made it to my door.