Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sitting in someone else's treestand

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Idk I frequently park within 200 yards of my stand. Lots of times my truck is within 100 yards of where I sit. Did the same hunting up north on QUOTE]

This guy is a complete asshole. There were 3 other new guys hunting a piece of this section last year that we stopped and talked to. These guys were all new hunters, not a clue. But they were friendly, we exchanged info on our stand setups, and we let them in on the habits of the herd. But this dude literally went around opening day trying to say the other landowner was trying to find out who put a stand up on their property. Right away I knew he was full of shit. This stand had been there a couple years, on the property we have permission for. We offered to show him the line, he declined. I happen to work with people who know the dude. He's a POS who has very few friends. He's already burned some bridges with local landowners, so hoping he just gets himself booted quickly

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I should have clarified. I've put countless people in my stands. I fully hoped this folks would kill deer. Quite a few really good ones died that way. I'm not selfish. However, if I find an uninvited guest in one of my stands, it makes me moody.

This! Tyler and I set up stands together for both of us to hunt and if we take a guest they are there for them too. As for me, I can't remember ever hunting out of a buddy's stand. I have put up my climber in places a buddy has suggested though.

Uninvited trespassers better never get caught in one of my stands.

Reactions: finelyshedded

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I should have clarified. I've put countless people in my stands. I fully hoped this folks would kill deer. Quite a few really good ones died that way. I'm not selfish. However, if I find an uninvited guest in one of my stands, it makes me moody.

I can confirm this. Brock helped me get Garrett's first deer on the ground. I'll always appreciate this.

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
Unfortunately I’ve ran into this issue this year. Long story short I have hunted this private property for 7 years(130 acres). Two years ago the owners daughter got married and gave 1/2 of it to her and her husband. To avoid issues my stands were moved to the owners 65 acres that remained his. The owner said no big deal you can hunt “my side “ and he can hunt his. Fast forward to this year.... SNL has been Hunting my stands this year. I’ve been after a dandy for the past 2 years and this has really thrown a wrench into my “plans”. As I sat in my stand tonight I saw footprints in the snow where I never walk(I take the same path in same path out always) and when I got down I followed the prints which led to another one of my stands that I just hung 2 weeks ago to try and capatilize on the dandy’s travel pattern. To my surprise I see that the footprints led to the base of my tree and big old yellow piss circle. Never got in the stand , just pissed all around it!!!! I’m ready to rip his F-in head off. I’ve logged numerous hours chasing this buck. What would you all do?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Unfortunately I’ve ran into this issue this year. Long story short I have hunted this private property for 7 years(130 acres). Two years ago the owners daughter got married and gave 1/2 of it to her and her husband. To avoid issues my stands were moved to the owners 65 acres that remained his. The owner said no big deal you can hunt “my side “ and he can hunt his. Fast forward to this year.... SNL has been Hunting my stands this year. I’ve been after a dandy for the past 2 years and this has really thrown a wrench into my “plans”. As I sat in my stand tonight I saw footprints in the snow where I never walk(I take the same path in same path out always) and when I got down I followed the prints which led to another one of my stands that I just hung 2 weeks ago to try and capatilize on the dandy’s travel pattern. To my surprise I see that the footprints led to the base of my tree and big old yellow piss circle. Never got in the stand , just pissed all around it!!!! I’m ready to rip his F-in head off. I’ve logged numerous hours chasing this buck. What would you all do?

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do as you're on the losing end from the start. If an issue arises the landowner will side with family no matter how wrong they are. The easiest way to resolve the conflict in his eyes is to have you leave. No more problems and he still gets to see his grandbabies or furore grandbabies. You can have a talk with the fella bit it'll just end up like I said when he plays the father in law trump card. The only thing you can do is start using packable sticks and leave the stands in the tree. That's not going to fix him pissing by your stands however. The good news is deer don't care too much about human piss.

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
You pretty much hit the nail on the head!! Can’t fix stupid. I would love nothing more than to harvest the deer I’m after and just give thanks to the landowner and walk away. Some people just suck....

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
293BEE6F-A002-4239-9A7F-47A4DB25F918.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice deer. Your best chance to kill him is cold weather and a corn pile. It’s got to be so cold that the sil won’t hunt, and I wouldn’t waste my time hunting until conditions are right either. Going too soon will just give an older deer a heads up.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Odds are against you, unfortunately. Only thing I can suggest is trying to play off his moves. Might be a pain in the neck, but consider doing a hang and hunt kind of deal. This could keep him at bay if he doesn't see your stand locations. Sucks, but when handed lemons.... The other option is to start banging his chick and take the farm over. I Don't recommend option 2...

Floki

I would play stupid and ask if they have seen anything unusual? Something along the lines, Went to my stand saw somone had been in it. So I cut across woods saw tracks to my other stand with piss circles right at the base of my tree then the tracks just trailed off.

Option two get ya killed. Now days I’d rather build a 75 foot ramp from my man cave roof down towards my ravine and try to jump that, on a tricycle than arguing over some bitc .... women..

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
Appreciate the feedback. I’ll keep you all updated on how my conversation goes with this d-bag. That deer is definitely his motive behind all this nonsense. Gonna hang some high cams to get a picture of him doing this dumb shit, possibly show his father in law or I’ll make him famous on the internet!! For now I’m taking Brocks advice .... Bring on the cold and nasty weather!!

Reactions: giles and Floki

Bigcountry40

Yeah you won't be hunting there much longer, probably try to create a long term lease agreement asap or just sell the stand to the son in law and move on, you kill that giant you won't be hunting there again. I can almost guarantee that sorry about your shitty situation

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Appreciate the feedback. I’ll keep you all updated on how my conversation goes with this d-bag. That deer is definitely his motive behind all this nonsense. Gonna hang some high cams to get a picture of him doing this dumb shit, possibly show his father in law or I’ll make him famous on the internet!! For now I’m taking Brocks advice .... Bring on the cold and nasty weather!!

I'm telling ya man, you'll end up on the losing end of this if you make it an issue. Kill that fucking deer then start shit. Odds are after you kill it he'll get his wife to make ole dad kick you out anyway. But by then it's on your wall and he gets a yearly card in the mail. No matter how this plays out odds are you're gone, keep low and kill that deer first.