Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sitting in someone else's treestand

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Okay is this something you would do if you have permission to hunt there?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Not unless I knew the person who hung the stand, and they specifically said it was OK to hunt the stand. Otherwise I hang my own.

Reactions: Spencie

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Not unless I knew the person who hung the stand, and they specifically said it was OK to hunt the stand. Otherwise I hang my own.

Agreed, honestly not that I think it is that big of a deal if you both are hunting the same spot, but I would hate to be in the stand, and have the guy/girl walk up. I hate seeing people in the woods, and seeing someone heading towards you would just blow specially if you screwed them cause you were in their stand.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well thats what i thought too..what would posses a man to do such a thing? Were having some "issues" here locally that need addressed. I debating on what mental makeup or lack there of causes such a shortsided lack of judgement ...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've sat in friends stands.... they have sat in mine.... its all been coordinated before so we don't step on each other.... common courtesy rules..... haven't had any issues too date....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I've sat in friends stands.... they have sat in mine.... its all been coordinated before so we don't step on each other.... common courtesy rules..... QUOTE]

Me TOO.
Never someone else's though. Just a unspoken rule.

Huckleberry Finn

No way, not unless the person said I could use it. Plus what if the owner is dumb in didnt hang it right. f' that

Yup don't trust them anymore.

I used to sit in a big ladder stand that someone without permission had up, though. I wouldn't do it again.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've sat in friends stands.... they have sat in mine.... its all been coordinated before so we don't step on each other.... common courtesy rules..... haven't had any issues too date....

That is exactly how my buddies and I have it worked out. Coordinate ahead of time. Usually buy them together and hang them together so it is just a matter of staying out of each other's way.

I have made one exception. Some jackholes hung a stand on one of my properties. They gained access to a 4acre property and decided it was okay to hunt the two neighboring properties. The following year they did NOT have permission on the 4 acre property but proceeded to come back and hang a stand anyway. I hunted that son of a gun, killed a buck, and left his junk on the stand. Bad enough when they are trespassing and hunting stands on neighboring properties. Worse when they have NO permission AND have the balls to hang stands. Now, they truly have an extra set of balls. Fuggers.

Disclaimer: I was not personally the one that left the junk on their stand. Had 2 buddies helping me drag the deer out. While I was field dressing, one of them disappeared. He told me later what he had done and I just couldn't bring myself to go take the junk off their stand. lmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I've done it with one tree stand. The landowner discovered it, asked if we put it there. Landowner hadn't given permission to anyone else so who ever put it there was trespassing.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Like Jim said: It's an un-said rule. No Permission, no sit! Hope I never find a stranger in one of mine. I am afraid I will flip-out and go cut the ladder down while he is up there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
That's why Adam and I take the lower steps off of our stands during gun season. It happens quite a bit around here.

I have never sat in someone elses stand but I have set up in a climber right next to one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is why I like the regular sticks and a lw stick at the top. It leaves about a 6 foot gap between the top of the stick and the bottom of the stand.