Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sleeping Bear Dunes/Platte River/ Petoskey/U.P. Vacation

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
We planned about a week vacation between the Sleeping Bear Dunes and Petoskey areas. We also figured when we were up that way we could drive to the U.P. and check it out, which just happens to have a small deer farm/petting zoo, it is self anointed as the oldest deer ranch in the U.S. it was one fun trip! It was beautiful with endless outdoor activities to try! If you love cherries then Northern Michigan is your place! Cherry flavored everything! I brought home some cherry dry rub and cherry whiskey! Temperature ranged from a high of 83 to a low of 55!! No humidity and no rain! Just about as perfect as you could ask for. The lake was still very brisk when you jumped in, but the shallow waters where the Platte river emptied into the lake offered much warmer waters to hang out in. Saw 2 wild deer the whole trip!?! Turkeys seemed to be plentiful. I was looking for a bear or elk but didn't see any. If any one hasn't been up there, I suggest you try it! We are planning on a trip again in a year or two, but this time we will split time between northern Michigan and the U.P. when we camp.

DSC_0043.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0067.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1723.jpg
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1793.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 482

Bowkills

Nw oh
I've been going up there all my life and just in recent years started seeing numbers of deer. Driving up the west side of the state there's a shit load. That water never gets to warm on the hottest of years.....glad u had fun. There's a lifetime of things to do and see in northern mi in the summer.....

Reactions: NWOHhunter

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Plenty of incredible views to see up that way for sure. Try tubing the Platte River there next time.

We did it! It was fun but would of been much more fun with friends and beers! It took us over 2 hrs to flow and they said the river was at least 15” above average this year! But still fun just too long for the kids lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: giles and Big_Holla
Anyone thinking of camping here, just book it. Figure out details later. I recommend later in the summer if possible, when the bugs have come and gone.

Friends of ours stayed at Turtle Lake up there. We went over for a quick weekend with them and it was a real nice campground. Had all the hookups for trailers and motor homes as well as great sites for tent camping. Bathrooms were spotless.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Anyone thinking of camping here, just book it. Figure out details later. I recommend later in the summer if possible, when the bugs have come and gone.

I was amazed at the lack of bugs! I think all week we had one mosquito sighting!..... Flys? NONE! Is that typical, anyone that is from up there or have a history??

Reactions: Big_Holla

Bowkills

Nw oh
I was amazed at the lack of bugs! I think all week we had one mosquito sighting!..... Flys? NONE! Is that typical, anyone that is from up there or have a history??
My gma live on lake charleviox she has always said there are no bugs in Michigan haha.....it seems like the most I've seen is comparable to around home after our first frost

Reactions: NWOHhunter