Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slug guns

at1010

*Supporting Member*
It is the 220. We have tried a couple different types of slugs. Not pumpkin balls. Mostly Winchester super x 2 3/4. They have been the ones that hit on paper. It’s a vortex scope. Can’t remember which one off hand.

i am far from expert but what rings you using on that scope? All tightened down?

I had a 450 that fought me like a sob. Good buddy (knows a lot more than me) helped me put rings and scope back on it. Made a world of difference. Had gun shot in at 100 in no time.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
i am far from expert but what rings you using on that scope? All tightened down?

I had a 450 that fought me like a sob. Good buddy (knows a lot more than me) helped me put rings and scope back on it. Made a world of difference. Had gun shot in at 100 in no time.
Not casting stones at anyone. But people will spend 3-400 on a scope and $20 on scope rings. I was just as guilty in the past. Gotta get a good set of rings too hold up too the torture of some of the slug guns and straight wall cartridges. Especially the .450

Fletch

Supporting Member
It is the 220. We have tried a couple different types of slugs. Not pumpkin balls. Mostly Winchester super x 2 3/4. They have been the ones that hit on paper. It’s a vortex scope. Can’t remember which one off hand.
Are they the sabot slugs with BRI slugs....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
AFF01767-3171-4DAF-9B9E-387EF4B3D6B5.jpeg

I have a Thompson Center Pro Hunter and a Winchester Super X3. I shoot these 20 gauge Hornadys out of them…2 3/4”. Both guns have Fully rifled barrels and can “clover leaf” at 100 yards. Whenever I find a round that shoots well, they always change or discontinue it, so I bought twenty boxes of them (about 15 years ago).

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Not casting stones at anyone. But people will spend 3-400 on a scope and $20 on scope rings. I was just as guilty in the past. Gotta get a good set of rings too hold up too the torture of some of the slug guns and straight wall cartridges. Especially the .450
Guilty!!

Reactions: "J"

Strizzi

I had a HR slug gun that I used to use that wouldn’t group anything other then hornady. Have you checked the barrel for any burrs or issues with the crown or rifling? I bought a 686 a few years back from a shop that couldn’t hit a silhouette target at 20 yards and I found the rifling was mangled. I sent it back to smith and they replaced it with a new one and once it came back it was perfect.

mike hunt

I’m curious to hear how that is, do a write up if u could
It was a good hunt, my kid was the primary hunt that could shoot either sex deer, me antler less only. We were only trophy hunting, a deer would mean another freezer. Saw at least 30 deer between the two of us, saw a couple of decent bucks when we checked out. That was the only hunt there this year. I had 3 ticks on me, my kid 7, WTF? I still feel them crawling on me. Very few young hunters, <10 under the age of 25. I've always enjoyed hunting there, wish they would have hunts at Plumbrook again, that place has to be loaded unless they have someone in there culling them.

Reactions: Hedgelj

Bigcountry40

It was a good hunt, my kid was the primary hunt that could shoot either sex deer, me antler less only. We were only trophy hunting, a deer would mean another freezer. Saw at least 30 deer between the two of us, saw a couple of decent bucks when we checked out. That was the only hunt there this year. I had 3 ticks on me, my kid 7, WTF? I still feel them crawling on me. Very few young hunters, <10 under the age of 25. I've always enjoyed hunting there, wish they would have hunts at Plumbrook again, that place has to be loaded unless they have someone in there culling them.
My dads buddy works at plum brook, new safety director will never allow hunting while he is there

mike hunt

My dads buddy works at plum brook, new safety director will never allow hunting while he is there
That's too bad, lot of wildlife there, I worked there a few years ago, always a lot of action. The last deer hunt I was on there was the beginning of 2020, probably the most deer I've ever seen in one day.