Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smoke Detectors.....

Fletch

Supporting Member
The other night around 1 am one of my Kidde smoke detectors started chirping... So disconnected it... Next morning I hear one upstairs chirping... So I got new battery and replaced them... Still chirping, WTF???? Called Kidde and they asked what was date on unit?? When I said 2012, she said their shot throw them out... Evidently they have a shelf life... Never knew that...

Yep. That's the truth. Being a lowly public servant in the hood, we see that more times than I can count. They just don't make them to last. 5 years in optimum conditions. Much less in the places we go to daily. At least they both went at the same time! Just replace em all. Kidde still makes a good product, but you know how things are made these days, nothing lasts. It's a shame.

Reactions: Fletch

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The other night around 1 am one of my Kidde smoke detectors started chirping... So disconnected it... Next morning I hear one upstairs chirping... So I got new battery and replaced them... Still chirping, WTF???? Called Kidde and they asked what was date on unit?? When I said 2012, she said their shot throw them out... Evidently they have a shelf life... Never knew that...
Same thing with carbon detectors. Mine went off at 4am and I got everybody out and had the fire department come out. Nothing found in the house. They looked at the detector and determined it was do to it's age. This was several years ago but they told me lifespan was max of 5 years.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Just bought new ones today... They are hard wired in and have a sealed lithium battery that is rated for 10 years...

Reactions: RedCloud

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Good to know, Didn't know that until today. Thanks, will save me some headache the next time one starts chirping.