Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smoker

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Does anyone still use their smoker? I love it, can’t even remember who I bought it from on here. Works great, guys down in NC have never heard of using smoke. I have seen it work amazingly at 15 yards.
55781DAF-587B-4D83-8DFA-4F5A0F91C47B.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I rarely use it any more and have stopped smoking my good bowhunting clothes altogether. I will occasionally fire it up and allow it to waft around while I'm getting geared up, but I stopped pre-smoking my stuff 2 years ago due to it ruining some stuff. I've been extremely successful the past 2 seasons reverting to the classic scent free method in combo with Evercalm and an open bottle of Black Widow Buck Butter.

I still think smoke can be effective, but it will ruin clothes if you're not careful and with far less people burning wood stoves around here, it's not that common of a smell nowadays. I love the smell and the ritual, but it was time to make an adjustment.

Reactions: 5Cent and Sgt Fury

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Sure do! I just got done doing a load of laundry today, followed up by a full smoke in the cabinet around noon, then hit again while getting dressed a bit of ago.

When Brock said he was done selling them, I bought 2 lol. The old one is retired and dates back to around '06, one is in action, and one in the box. Figure i got another 25-30yrs covered.

Outside burners are everywhere up here, and I don't hunt the wind at all anymore. Only thing I would not do it to was a good set of new clothes for out west or something. I dont spend a lot of $ on camo so most likely won't have to worry about it for awhile lol. For my style and level of hunting, it hits the spot!

Last edited:

Bowkills

Nw oh
I don't think anything will work for my rank ass. I used to try hard but I've given up and hunt the wind hope for the best. I'll give this a whirl though can't hurt what I do.

Reactions: Boarhead and 5Cent

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to use the smoker religiously. I certainly believe that it works more often than not. I did have a few "poor" reactions from deer, although far fewer than "good" or should I say non-reactions. For me, like Jesse, it now simply boils down to my personal aversion to putting a permanent smoke-smell into my high dollar hunting clothes. My Sitka stuff holds resale value EXTREMELY well... just as long as it doesn't smell like a camp fire. Over the past 3 seasons I've switched back to scent-free washing and hunting smarter in regards to wind direction. And in doing so, I've had noticeably more encounters with mature deer. Now, I'm not saying mature deer avoid smoke. I just think that, when I was a religious scent-smoker, I was more likely to hunt carelessly because I considered myself more bulletproof. I simply took more chances... stupidly. Removing the smoker from my routine has left me no choice but to hunt smarter. That's just my personal stance on it.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Still have mine, I tried scent theif this season along with all of the shampoo and detergent. Have not got winded one time. Has a weird smell it seems to work. Id say its other same line as nose jammer.

Reactions: 5Cent