Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have the video made. Just finished it before dark. Going to upload once I take out the stuttering and dropping of the phone. Lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Also, the Weber WSM 18.5 runs under $300 and is a great cooker. Just not as stable or large as a UDS but they are prettier.

Mine will be here this evening. I'm doing a Sunday dinner for both of our families to celebrate Father's Day. I'll season and break it in over the next couple of day. My plan was steak/taters/corn, so now I will add my first ever rack of ribs to that. Really looking forward to using this thing and getting good at it! Thanks for the suggestion Beener. After a week of research, the WSM really seems to be the best bang for the buck to the Average Joe BBQ'r.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good stuff. My nephew is the meat smoker in the family. He's been doing it for about 5 yrs. now.
After many tries he has settled on smoking the meat on the grill for a short time to get the smoke effect then he puts the meat and potatoes into a large long 20 qt. slow cooker to finish the cook.
I must say it's a lot better as before the meat was dry with a severe smoke taste that was just over coming. Now the meat is nice and tender plus being juicy.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mine will be here this evening. I'm doing a Sunday dinner for both of our families to celebrate Father's Day. I'll season and break it in over the next couple of day. My plan was steak/taters/corn, so now I will add my first ever rack of ribs to that. Really looking forward to using this thing and getting good at it! Thanks for the suggestion Beener. After a week of research, the WSM really seems to be the best bang for the buck to the Average Joe BBQ'r.

http://www.amazingribs.com

This dude has a great site that is a great jump start to learning to smoke/bbq. Tough when finished? Didn't cook long enough. Falling apart? TOO long.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Most barrels come with a liner. Be sure to burn it out with a big ass fire.

I'm going to clarify now that I'm using my laptop. UDS barrels are usually biodiesel barrels, meaning that they at one time contained food based ingredients such as cooking oil or olive oil & the such. There's a painted liner inside that needs to be burned out. You certainly don't wanna be smoking food with that. A lot of guys will get pallets & burn them inside. You want a really hot fire. The paint on the outside will burn off as well, which means you get to repaint. Getting all of the liner out is a extremely important step.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Been smoking a pork shoulder since last night. Sucker came out of the stall and is currently at 175 mark, creeping to that magical 190 mark. Pulled pork here we come!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402860335.395740.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What are you using for your spritz?

I threw the ribs on the WSM at noon. This thing is stupidly easy to run. Been between 235-250 all morning. That includes swirling winds and going from full sun to full shade. Really happy with it so far!

uploadfromtaptalk1402861217611.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

I threw the ribs on the WSM at noon. This thing is stupidly easy to run. Been between 235-250 all morning. That includes swirling winds and going from full sun to full shade. Really happy with it so far!

View attachment 21935

I have heard of apple juice/cider/cider vinegar. Or you can use other flavored liquids. Just know that the more the sugars the more caramelization that can occur. It also depends on how much "bark" you want on it. I don't use a lot of liquid b/c my rub has a lot of sugar already in it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

View attachment 21935

Apple juice with a little EVOO. The dry rub has brown sugar in it so the spray mop just keeps it moist and the EVOO adds to the bark.

The water pan in the smoker has about 3 cups apple juice, 1/4 cup worschtershire (sp) sauce, and some garlic.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice.

I like a thick bark in pulled pork, but not so much on ribs. I am doing these 3-2-1 style. Its a sweet and smokey rub. They are in foil now with apple juice, apple cider vinegar and some JD Tennessee Honey. Finish with the Coca-Cola habanero BBQ sauce. Used apple wood in the smoker.

These may not be award winning ribs, but I can't imagine they be hard to eat!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Video is done. YouTube is farking it up.

Pulled pork for me gets no spritz...nothing does actually.

Just makes the cook take longer and imparts flavors that take away from pork. A good rub and plenty of clean smoke makes me happy.

Spares get 3 - 2 - 1/2 method and baby backs get 2 - 2 - 1/2.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Video is done. YouTube is farking it up.

Pulled pork for me gets no spritz...nothing does actually.

Just makes the cook take longer and imparts flavors that take away from pork. A good rub and plenty of clean smoke makes me happy.

Spares get 3 - 2 - 1/2 method and baby backs get 2 - 2 - 1/2.

I usually don't either but I was running at the higher end around 250 as I was rushing it. The apple juice and a little EVOO didn't have any effect on the flavor or the bark. Id hit it about every hour or so. Turned out great.

My brisket doesn't get a mop or a spritz. Sacrilege.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wish I had taken pics of the ribs. Perfect 1/4" smoke ring, done to perfection and tasty as hell. Was a big hit!

I'm hooked on smoking meats! ;)