Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sold the canoe...purchased a kayak

Well, I didn't foresee the loading problems of the heavier/longer canoe. It became more of an event to get it on and off of my Civic, than I had antisipated. :smiley_chinrub:

Anyway, as it turns out, a guy in WV purchased my canoe for what I'd paid for it. I met him half way and on the way home I purchased an Old Town Vapor 10 XT. Dunham Sports, in Bellefontaine, beat everyone else's prices at $299. I'm going back this weekend to purchase another one, for my brother, so we can go fishing. :smiley_bril:

I've been working OT, since I purchased my kayak or I'd have some pics to post. :smiley_depressive:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome deal man. It's exactly like mine except mine is a 12 footer. You'll love it. They glide through the water easily and track very well. You;re gonna be sore as a mother though after the first trip..

Jackalope said:
Awesome deal man. It's exactly like mine except mine is a 12 footer. You'll love it. They glide through the water easily and track very well.
Jackalope,
Thanks! Dunham Sports has been great at beating prices on kayaks and canoes. During my purchase, they asked for my e-mail address for them to send me special offers. The next day I got an e-mail coupon for 20% off on my next purchase, which works out great, as I intend to purchase a second kayak for my brother. :smiley_bril:

I sat in the 12' and 10' side by side and decided to go with the shorter one, based on weight and "loadability". After all I'd been through with the heavier canoe, I thought it was the best way to go. :smiley_blink:

The foam loading blocks are sold as a kit, for $24.99. Not too bad of a price, but I got to thinking that one of those noodles at Wally World's in the kiddie section would've worked just as well. :smiley_chinrub: I ran a rope through one and cut 2 lengths of it for my next kayak. Hopefully, I'll be able to get away from work and get on the water this weekend. :smiley_crazy:

Finally, I got some pics of the kayaks, that I've been babbling about. Also, a pic of a Black Crappie that I caught today. This fish supprised me, as I'd not caught anything of any size all morning...until this guy latched on to my lure. 12 1/2"...I fished for another hour and never caught another fish, so I turned him loose and thanked him for the fight. :smiley_blink:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice crappie and nice looking setup with the dual kayaks! Hope you continue to enjoy them! Wish I had time to enjoy something other than work.

J said:
What's the advantages/disadvantages of the longer kayaks????
"J",
What you intend to do with a kayak, is what would make the difference in what length and hull design to purchase. :smiley_bril:

Longer kayaks will track straighter and not have to be corrected as much, which is good for long trips...in smoother waters. Just like a longer wheel base, they provide a smoother ride too. They usually have nicer/more comfortable seats for longer distance traveling. Being longer, they offer more storage space for trips.

Longer kayaks don't turn as sharp and in general whitewater conditions, have poor handling. Shorter kayaks have more bevel and rocker to their hull design, which is what gives them their manuverability. Whitewater kayaks don't require much in the way of storage, as it hampers the manuverability of their craft. Not to mention, the amount of drop per mile (usually 8 ft. or more) makes for a fast paced and exhilarating trip...at the end of which you are exhausted and ready to get out of the water. 4 hours of whitewater is very physically demanding, but great fun! :smiley_blink:

Much like rifles, shotguns and handguns....there is no "do all" firearm, nor is there a "do all" kayak. My Old Town Vapor is a middle of the road hull design and will allow a person to do a little of each. However, the stability difference in fishing from a true whitewater kayak or a flatter hull designed lake kayak will get your attention in either situation. Simularly, if I were to travel down a grade 3 river in my Vapor, I would notice a considerable difference of difficulty in handling, compared to a whitewater kayak that offered a hull design that was better suited to the conditions.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
So how is the yak holding up ? Do any modifications to it since you got it ?

How much did it cost to register it if you don't mind me asking. Just wondering because I was thinking of going and getting a 10' to mess around with.

RedCloud,
Sorry for not catching your reply, sooner. The Vapor is holding up great! I've added 2 flush mount rod holders, where the Angler model would have them installed. They're $7.96 at Wally World and all you need is a hole saw attachment for your drill, a rivet gun and 3 rivets each. After cutting the hole for the rod holder, you'll want to set it in place and mark the 3 holes for your rivets. I installed both of mine in about 20 minutes.

I also installed 2 boat cleats, one on each side of the kayak, to tie off my 3 lb. dumbell anchors...1 in the front and 1 in the back. Most of the time I only use anchor, but sometimes the wind will push me out of position for me to fish a particular spot, so I use the other one to hold me in place.

If it helps, there are some videos on YouTube, that shows you how to install the rod holders.

As for cost, I went online with Dunham's Sports and found a 20% off coupon, for the Vapor, at $279. I just happened to be in the store when they had mine on sale for $299 (from $379), but I went back to purchase another one for my brother and had the coupon.

Again...sorry about the slow reply. If you don't get a reply within a day or so and want a quicker response, send me an e-mail.

Oops! Forgot to mention the registration fee...it's $22 for 3 years.

I finally got some pics of my Vapor 10 with the rod holders and boat cleats. You can see how I have the front and rear anchors tied to the boat cleats. I wouldn't mind having them located about another 12" foreward, to avoid hitting them with my paddle, but they're working fine where they're at and I don't hit/bump into them that often. :smiley_blink:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sweet looking mods right there. I was thinking about getting a yac and Dunhams as well. They still have the Vapor on sale for $278 and with the registration not being that expensive would make for some fun :D.

Thanks for the info sir, I appreciate it very much.

RedCloud,
You're most welcome...jist tryin' ta hep a brotha out. :smiley_blink:

Here's a video that shows just how easy it is to install the flush mount rod holders. You don't have to use a Rotozip, as a hole saw attachment for a drill motor cost me $7 at Menards. Be certain to mark any holes you drill/cut, as the plastic of most kayaks is easy to overcut.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3bN89OqUw

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
How hard do you think it would be to fly fish from a yak. I have been looking at yaks and float tubes. Float tubes are for sure not as much money, and I am unsure of the stability of the yak if you are casting from the side with a fly rod.

Hoytmania,
The stability of a kayak will be horrible, IF you stand up in it. They're designed for a low center of gravity. However, you can put small pontoons on them that will allow you to stand up and fish with no problem. You can either buy pontoons from Cabelas or build them yourself out of PVC. I wouldn't think it would take anything larger than 2" pvc to give you the stability you're looking for, on a kayak.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am also thinking about the rod holders. Unless I am missing something I don't think they would hold a fly rod due to the fact that the reel is right at the end of the rod.

Any thoughts on this.