Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Some more scoring fun...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My neighbor finally brought this rack over to my place to have it unofficially scored. One of his buddies got it earlier this season, down in SE Ohio if I remember correctly. Just for fun, anyone care to take a guess what it scored? Hint: 16 total points and it was scored non-typical. Notice the Ragu jar next to it for some scale.

buck_1.jpg

buck_2.jpg

buck_3.jpg

buck_4.jpg

I'll post the score that I came up with tomorrow or something.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here's my stab at it. 168 gross typ. 162 net typ. add 27 inches of abbies to come to a 189 net non-typ. score. Frickin massive monster I might add Jim, congrats to the hunter.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys are good! In the end, I came up with gross non-typical 176 & change, net 165 4/8". Just under 19" of abnormal inches on this brute. I left the measurements at home and I don't remember everything completely, but I think there was almost 40" of mass, TOO. His left side was pretty weak compared to the right... net typical score was ridiculously low!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just a note of mention on how I scored this pig. IMO, the two longest points near the brows(and on the outside a piece) were scored as abs. The two g-1's I scored are the two that are pretty even and turn in a bit. This is why I came up with 27 inches of abnormal inches. He's got a few stickers and that other long ab on his left side that I figured to be around 7 inches as well. It's all in how the scorer interprets the way these non-typs should be scored. Just sayin'. Thanks for sharing Jim and great pic's and great angles TOO. What length did you give his beams? I figured 25 right and 26 left. Those are the hardest to measure and estimate from photo's.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a note of mention on how I scored this pig. IMO, the two longest points near the brows(and on the outside a piece) were scored as abs. The two g-1's I scored are the two that are pretty even and turn in a bit. This is why I came up with 27 inches of abnormal inches. He's got a few stickers and that other long ab on his left side that I figured to be around 7 inches as well. It's all in how the scorer interprets the way these non-typs should be scored. Just sayin'. Thanks for sharing Jim and great pic's and great angles TOO. What length did you give his beams? I figured 25 right and 26 left. Those are the hardest to measure and estimate from photo's.

I felt the same as you for the brow tines, and scored the two that turn in as the G-1s. But the abnormal tine lengths weren't quite as long as you estimated, that's why they only added up to 18 and change... it's tough to accurately estimate length by just a picture, even if there is something there for reference. Great guesses on beam lenght, though! The right side was just under 24" and the left was 26 0/8".