Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Some wood turning and some non-wood turning

Creamer

Athens
With the high volume of coyote pics on cameras this fall, I'm planning to declare war on them this winter. This is an Oregon myrtle distress call, an idea I had kicking around for a while. This is run #1 at it. The bell end of the call is not open, so leaving the large hole on the side of bell lets the jackrabbit distress read work. Cover that hole with your finger and you get the coaxer reed. Sort of a one stop shop distress call so you can easily shift from a loud to a soft coaxer without switching calls.

This is technically a cow elk call, but if you don't bite down hard on the mouth piece, it makes a really cool deer distress call. Much deeper distress call, sounds just like a spined whitetail (not that I would know what that sounds like...). "Firefly" Spectraply laminate, and I added a chunk of heat shrink over the plastic mouth piece to make it a little easier on the chompers.

I had an old howler I really liked, a Primos Lil Dog. Stock parts all around, but I had been wanting to turn a wood barrel for it. I figured osage would pair well with the green reed assembly. This came from a random chunk of an osage limb a coworker gave me a few years ago.

Se-xy. In looks and in sound.

Creamer

Athens
It seemed highly necessary to have a buck grunter that matched my '68 Bear Kodiak Magnum. I started with a chunk of kiln dried shedua.

I tried a gel stain in "cabernet" color to try to match the riser color on the K Mag. It got me close. I also went with a brass band to match the brass medallion. I did experiment with doing an ink transfer from paper to wood, but my results were not very good on my test pieces. So, I scrapped the idea of transferring a Bear logo to the call.

So here's the finished product.

Creamer

Athens
I needed a project, and I found out a coworker was going to be turkey hunting some this year. I had some slate laying around and some cherry blanks, so I cranked out a simple slate over glass call for him. The striker is hickory with a cherry top.

She sings a sweet tune.

Creamer

Athens
I finished a couple of really simple/small projects lately. I had an old Primos Power Crow that was in rough shape. I turned a new barrel for it from black limba and replaced the dry-rotted rubber tubing with some fresh shrink tubing.

I also had been wanting a fawn distress call for this spring/summer. I picked up a cheap Primos Bleat and Bawl and raided the reed assembly. I was able to carefully drill out one of my rubber call bushings to accept the larger diameter fawn reed. The guts all went into a fresh osage barrel.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bet that fawn call absolutely screams! Something about the wood and how hefty it is will certainly broadcast the sounds like no other. Cool stuff, Jeff!

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
I bought this stick of wood online a month or so back. Gorgeous stuff, I've been waiting for a "need" (I say that VERY loosely) to spin up a chunk of it. I bought a fawn distress diaphragm from MFK to go along with a rabbit distress diaphragm I already had from them. I wanted a smaller amp horn to bridge the gap between "none" and the "buffalo mega horn" I made last winter. So, out came the padauk.

After testing with the fawn diaphragm.

Creamer

Athens
I got bored and needed a wood project. A piece of cocobolo had been sitting in my wood stash for about 4 months, and I scavenged scraps I had saved from other projects to feed the rest of this idea. I wanted a grunt call that closely matched the wood combinations in my Stalker recurve. I used the cocobolo, a scrap of bocote, and a couple of slices of cherry to put this together.

It turned out pretty good. I wanted thinner slices of cherry but had some cracking issues when I tried thinner slices so I went a little bigger.