Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

someone is holding out on us!

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I heard of a couple of bucks that went down last night. Can't wait to hear the stories, and see some better pics of those monsters!:smiley_cheer:

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
That sucks, any idea where you hit it??? Buck or doe???

I shot a nice 8pt. Between limbs from the tree i was in and two rows of corn he was in, i had a small window. He had approached from behind me (downwind) and snuck up through the rows of corn. When i bleated him to stop i had only a 3 inch circle to shoot through. The buck was at 22 yards so i felt comfortable putting an arrow through the gap. I squeezed one off and heard the notorious thwack! The deer mule kicked and took off running. He stopped about 80-100 yards out and looked back. He stood there for what seemed like eternity. Then slowly limped back into the corn. After about 15 seconds of him disappearing in the corn i heard crashing. I slowly got down and checked my arrow. Hardly any blood but a ton of bone matter and muscle tissue. I had pegged him dead in the shoulder. We found good puddles of blood where he had stood. After discussing it with Nick, we marked the spot and backed out. After we got the other two bucks gutted out we went after him. Only to find the blood trail trickle off about 150 yards into the corn. I am sick to my stomach.........

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
yeah this was all last night. three bucks and a doe were arrowed, only two were recovered. I had a spike walk around under my stand for about 30 min after i shot. Reds deer will probably go 155-160. Huge body on him......

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
If it was a shoulder hit it is probably a dead deer but almost unrecoverable imo. I hit one of the biggest bucks of my life in the shoulder the last day of Michigan's archery season years ago in a snowstorm. By the time I got help to start tracking the trail was covered with snow. I spent 2 days looking. The next weekend a buddy had his kids up and I offered them $500 if they could find the deer. Never found it and the deer was never seen agian after being the talk of the town for years. I am sick just thinking about it. It took 3 seasons to get a shot at him and I fugged it up. Mainframe 12 with junk everywhere. Probably a 250-300lb deer. I know 300 pound deer are rare but I have killed and seen plenty of dead ones weighed. This thing was a TANK. My guess was 7.5 years old.

Anyway Nate I know how you feel, sometimes it just happens. Practice is great but shit can go wrong in a hurry with a live animal in front of you. Shake it off and get back after them.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Thats all i can do is get back on the saddle. It wasnt the first time and unfortunatly probably wont be the last. Just makes ya sick. Its still early though... ill be back out on wed morn and evening

rrr

Not sure where you are at but check out the sticky, there are some guys up there that can help you look...bummer man.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
pics are on walleyerun.com. he didn't have time after work to post on here also. (plus it isn't the easiest to post pics here.)

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Redhunter.jpg

Hope Red does not mind I moved it here. That buck is too nice not to share....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I likey! Carries the mass all the way out and has great character too! Way to get it done buddy!