Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Son's Success

Last night we roosted a bird across from the house. This is the same longbeard that he missed on Friday and we called in on Saturday, but he just wouldn't come the last 10 yards or so to offer a shot. I was in Ohio on Monday and for the last 2 mornings this bird was not roosted in that spot so we hunted other gobblers on out the ridge. Last night though he was roosted back in the same spot.

We actually called this bird in part way on the youth season opener, but as soon as he gets to a spot where he either sees the decoys or he feels he should see the hen he won't come any farther. He gobbled like crazy when on the roost and when coming in every morning we worked him. After our hunt Saturday we had a good game plan where my son would setup along a gasline and I would go above him about 50 yards on the other side of some really thick stuff. In order for the gobbler to get where he could see me about his only path would be to walk out the gasline past my son. His roosting spot was below the gasline.

Fortunately since he finally was roosted back in the right spot we could put it into action. Just as he had done on the other mornings he was vocal on the roost and even after he flew down he would instantly answer any calls. I was a little worried that he was possibly staying in the woods below the gasline too long and was maybe going to circle too far around, but he came out on the gasline right below him offering a nice 30 yard shot. Since it was before school and work, it was a quick tag, run to the house, and clean him so we could get going. I was still to work early though so it worked out. Haven't measured the beard yet as we didn't have time. I would guess the spurs were around an 1".

Picture.
AB4346FA-A594-4237-973B-443C78CD7FBA.jpeg