Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spinal Injection

This damn back pain better be coming to an end today. After numerous visits to all kinds of doctors, unsuccesful physical therapy, dangerous pain killers and a back pain that does not go away, I am finally going to the doc today to get a spinal injection which is supposed to make my back feel like new.

Basically I've learned to deal and live with it as there has been nothing that has worked but I am confident that after today, my lower back will be painfree and allow me to have a normal life like I used to. So far I have not let it slow me down nor change the way I do things but damn it hurts like hell.

I don't know if I need to take any rest from this but I hope to be in my Ohio treestand this coming Sunday when I'll be going to check out my OH farm.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Bene, I may have missed it, but what caused this injury? Did it just show up out of nowhere? I'm feeling for ya, and I hope the shot works!

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Hope every thing works out for ya!!!...I have a lower back problem but I have had alot of relief doing my PT work outs and once I started slacking on them and not doing them my back acted up again so I need to work out again and get my back in shape....I couldn't believe how good I felt after PT.....but each injury is different hope you find some relief!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have back problems as well. One of the guys I work with herniated a disc early in the year. After failed attempts at PT and meds he tried an inversion table. He swears by it. I'm going to give it a try after christmas. He bought a cheap one at dicks for around $160. He is 51 and says he feels 10 years younger and he's and inch taller.lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Where to start :).

First I want to say " I wish you the best and hope it helps "

I had a epidural steroid injection done the first time and that was after Chiro, Pain Meds and PT didn't work. I went in the second time and had a facet joint injection (One on each side of the joint) and so far that hasn't worked either. I was to the ER a few weeks ago when it locked up and they gave me Dilaudid for the pain. WORKED for the pain but the side effects SUCK. I felt like I had drank my ass off at the bar and of course the final was puking after the anti-nausea meds wore off.

Right now I'm waiting for approval for a spinal nerve block injection. Damn HMO has screwed around now for a month and a half with the pain clinic.

This was all done on my L5 - S1 disc witch also has a small tear in the front part of the disc. I have 2 others in my back that are bulging and need dealt with as well ( T8-T9. ) I don't recall or have the report in front of me right now to tell you what one in my cervical part.

Like I said, I wish you the best buddy. I have been there done that and wouldn't wish that shit on anybody else.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Bene I also hope the best for you. After 53 years of pain with my Arthritis you never get use to it. A right hip replacement help there and I now get injections every three months on my right shoulder and right knee. It helps tremendous. I don't know what it is and Doc say I can take as many and as often as I need. Hope yours helps you! It ain't fun!

Bene, I may have missed it, but what caused this injury? Did it just show up out of nowhere? I'm feeling for ya, and I hope the shot works!

I don't know exactly what caused it. I know it has been at least two years with some pain but this last summer I was at the property cutting wood and I think I twisted my back while moving some wood and it got real bad ever since. That day I could not stand straight and was in so much pain I should have cried. Ever since the oain is a daily thing especially in the early morning. Can't tell you how much it hurts to tie my shoe laces. And ahh those hunting boots with those long laces are a real pain in the butt I mean in the back.

Where to start :).

First I want to say " I wish you the best and hope it helps "

I had a epidural steroid injection done the first time and that was after Chiro, Pain Meds and PT didn't work. I went in the second time and had a facet joint injection (One on each side of the joint) and so far that hasn't worked either. I was to the ER a few weeks ago when it locked up and they gave me Dilaudid for the pain. WORKED for the pain but the side effects SUCK. I felt like I had drank my ass off at the bar and of course the final was puking after the anti-nausea meds wore off.

Right now I'm waiting for approval for a spinal nerve block injection. Damn HMO has screwed around now for a month and a half with the pain clinic.

This was all done on my L5 - S1 disc witch also has a small tear in the front part of the disc. I have 2 others in my back that are bulging and need dealt with as well ( T8-T9. ) I don't recall or have the report in front of me right now to tell you what one in my cervical part.

Like I said, I wish you the best buddy. I have been there done that and wouldn't wish that shit on anybody else.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

First off thanks all for the kind words.

My situation sounds pretty similar to yours. I don't know all the medical terminology yet but basically all my discs are showing some level of wear. My first disc is the worst and I got a epidural steroid injection done today and also some other medicine to go with the steroid. One on each side. I was told I should not work today but guess where I am now? Sitting on my freaking desk at work :smiley_confused_vra ( I know and I am taking it real easy). The doc seems pretty good and they said that he invented this procedure I went through today. No major anestesia just some local. I was awake during the whole thing.

Right now the pain is a bit different. I feel as if I have 20lb of weight (its like some pressure) inside my spinal cord which is a little annoying but I can bend forward and tie my shoes with no major issues. Also my legs are a bit numb. I guess it will take a couple of days to see the results. I have another appointment in two weeks for two more injections and then I believe the doc will have me do some PT to learn on how to protect my back in the future.

This thing really sucks and like you said I would never wish this on anybody.

Thanks for the encouraging words and I will keep you all posted on how this situation progresses.

Ben

I have back problems as well. One of the guys I work with herniated a disc early in the year. After failed attempts at PT and meds he tried an inversion table. He swears by it. I'm going to give it a try after christmas. He bought a cheap one at dicks for around $160. He is 51 and says he feels 10 years younger and he's and inch taller.lol

I heard of this inversion table and the guy who told me about swears by it too. I guess I'll see how this thing goes and I might consider it as the next step.

Thanks for the tip.

Ben

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
First off thanks all for the kind words.

My situation sounds pretty similar to yours. I don't know all the medical terminology yet but basically all my discs are showing some level of wear. My first disc is the worst and I got a epidural steroid injection done today and also some other medicine to go with the steroid. One on each side. I was told I should not work today but guess where I am now? Sitting on my freaking desk at work :smiley_confused_vra ( I know and I am taking it real easy). The doc seems pretty good and they said that he invented this procedure I went through today. No major anestesia just some local. I was awake during the whole thing.

Right now the pain is a bit different. I feel as if I have 20lb of weight (its like some pressure) inside my spinal cord which is a little annoying but I can bend forward and tie my shoes with no major issues. Also my legs are a bit numb. I guess it will take a couple of days to see the results. I have another appointment in two weeks for two more injections and then I believe the doc will have me do some PT to learn on how to protect my back in the future.

This thing really sucks and like you said I would never wish this on anybody.

Thanks for the encouraging words and I will keep you all posted on how this situation progresses.

Ben

The weight and numbness could last a couple days. I think mine lasted 2-3 and took about 3 weeks before I got the full effect of the shot to set in as far as pain relief. Did you DR. have you keep a journel for the first 24hrs to evaluate the effects of the epidural ? They also told me that I could only get the epidural a maximum of 4x a year but they don't like to do it more then 3x a year.

I hope it works for you Ben. Keep the updates coming.

The weight and numbness could last a couple days. I think mine lasted 2-3 and took about 3 weeks before I got the full effect of the shot to set in as far as pain relief. Did you DR. have you keep a journel for the first 24hrs to evaluate the effects of the epidural ? They also told me that I could only get the epidural a maximum of 4x a year but they don't like to do it more then 3x a year.

I hope it works for you Ben. Keep the updates coming.

No journal was mentioned. He also did not say if I will get any other injections after the second one in two weeks from today. He did say though that the pain may increase in the next 3-4 days until the procedures takes full effect. Then I have a follow up appointement after the second injection sometime in late January. Damn and Im only 30.

I guess I was hoping to leave the docs office today like new and with no pain but I still have pain. All I can do now is take it easy and be patience.

Thanks again.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
No journal was mentioned. He also did not say if I will get any other injections after the second one in two weeks from today. He did say though that the pain may increase in the next 3-4 days until the procedures takes full effect. Then I have a follow up appointement after the second injection sometime in late January. Damn and Im only 30.

I guess I was hoping to leave the docs office today like new and with no pain but I still have pain. All I can do now is take it easy and be patience.

Thanks again.

I was only 32 at the time and just turned 34 this month.

I had added pain from mine for a few days and that's pretty normal. Did you get a migraine with yours ? I know I did about 12hrs after the shot.

Sounds like your Dr. did the epidural and facet joints at the same time ? My first shot/round was a single needle right into my disc and the second time was the facet joints and used 2 needles one on each side of my spine.

I know each trip racked up $3500 so 7k so far and I still have one more trip at least lol. Glad to know my insurance is paying 100 % of it and not coming out of my immediate pocket.