Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spypoint Link-evo sale

Cabela’s has these on sale for $224, plus if you trade in an old camera you get another 50. That’s a cellular trail cam for 174. I ran down and bought one today. Hopefully it works ok. I have never seen these going this cheap before so I thought I would try one out. Hopefully get it set up next weekend and I will let you all know how it works. If anyone has used it before throw out some pointers. If you want to buy one the sale ends on the 26th.

Chass

The Hills
Not a bad deal at all to be found locally, just checked Amazon and that's the price they have them at as well. Minus the trade in option, so anyone liking this price but not willing to drive. Theres your buy

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've had one running for a few weeks and I'm very impressed so far. I may buy another at this price.

My only gripe is the spypoint data package is a little more expensive than some other companies, like covert for example. I guess that's why they can sell their cams so cheap...they more than make up for it in data charges.

I agree the packages were a little hard to understand when I first read them. Also, everything I have read on them says to use lithium batteries which are very expensive and even when using them you may only get 1 month. Let us know how yours does.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree the packages were a little hard to understand when I first read them. Also, everything I have read on them says to use lithium batteries which are very expensive and even when using them you may only get 1 month. Let us know how yours does.
IMO you should run lithium batteries in all trail cams nowadays... so that's not a huge deal for me. I just expect to use them. My wireless cams are still showing 100% battery life and they've been deployed since August 3rd, with one having transmitted 774 total pictures.

One awesome feature on these cameras is the Bucktracker technology. The app somehow recognizes deer with antlers. So you can sort your albums based on antler or antlerless, and even have the app send you notifications for ONLY antlered deer. It's very handy.

Reactions: OO2 and giles

OO2

In the Uplands
IMO you should run lithium batteries in all trail cams nowadays... so that's not a huge deal for me. I just expect to use them. My wireless cams are still showing 100% battery life and they've been deployed since August 3rd, with one having transmitted 774 total pictures.

One awesome feature on these cameras is the Bucktracker technology. The app somehow recognizes deer with antlers. So you can sort your albums based on antler or antlerless, and even have the app send you notifications for ONLY antlered deer. It's very handy.

I put lithium’s in my stealth cam and it died at 4,000 pics over the mineral. Is this usual? That was first time using lithium’s.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I put lithium’s in my stealth cam and it died at 4,000 pics over the mineral. Is this usual? That was first time using lithium’s.

It really just depends. I had a Bushnell that ran 13 months and logged 9000 pics on lithiums. But theres many factors involved... Temp, sensitivity, number of pics, brand of batteries, etc.

Reactions: OO2

Chass

The Hills
Kind of curious as to why lithiums need to be used in trail cams.
I'll just copy/paste since it's easier. For more info just do a Google search and you can see the technical details if you wish to learn more.
TLDR: more power, lasts longer in extreme temps

Single-Use Lithium Batteries
Lithium, an exceptionally light metal, gives lithium batteries the highest energy density of any battery cell. Thus, they can store more energy than alkaline batteries or any single-use battery of a comparable size. And they are superb performers in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold.

USE WITH CAUTION: Their higher voltage capacity makes lithium batteries too powerful for some devices and may damage circuitry. Read manufacturer instructions for battery recommendations for individual products.

Best use: High-drain devices (eg. digital cameras) and most (but not all) moderate-drain devices (eg. headlamps, toys).

Pros:

Longest life (by far) in single-use category; in a digital camera, lithium batteries hypothetically may produce 100–200+ flash photos; alkaline batteries, 20–40+.
Superior functionality in extreme temperatures, from well below zero to over 100°F.
Very long shelf life.
Light weight (approximately 30 percent lighter than equivalent sized alkaline batteries).
Cons:

More expensive.

I always run regular alkaline in all of my cams and they last for months with thousands of photos. Buy the big boxes of AA rayovacs at menards typically on sale and get rebates. As for cellular cams though, everything I have read and watched says you have to run lithium’s.

Reactions: Bigslam51

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I always run regular alkaline in all of my cams and they last for months with thousands of photos. Buy the big boxes of AA rayovacs at menards typically on sale and get rebates. As for cellular cams though, everything I have read and watched says you have to run lithium’s.
Just got a bunch of those rayovacs myself

Schu72

Streetsboro
I've had one running for a few weeks and I'm very impressed so far. I may buy another at this price.

My only gripe is the spypoint data package is a little more expensive than some other companies, like covert for example. I guess that's why they can sell their cams so cheap...they more than make up for it in data charges.
How does the data package work?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How does the data package work?
You pay directly to spypoint and not data carrier like Verizon. So you don't have to do anything with the cell company. Just buy the cam, download the app, set it up, and put it in the woods. Comes with free unlimited photos for the first 30 days. After that, there's a few different options... Paying month to month, paying a whole year, paying a 3 month bundle, etc. Or you can run it free for only 100 photo transfers a month. If you set it on a trail this might be viable, but over a bait pile or mineral site or food plot there's no way you only take 100 pics a month. Spypoints website does a nice job breaking it down clearly.

What I don't like is Spypoint charges you full price for data packages, for every cam you have deployed. There's no discount for multiple cams. Covert on the other hand has an "add a line" upcharge that is pretty minimal. Again, the spypoint cams are much cheaper but the data package is higher in the long run. At this point I don't think I would done anything different though. We'll see after a year or two.

Reactions: giles
I agree that is why I only bought one instead of two for now. I want to try this out and see how it goes.
I also saw primos just came out with a cellular cam regular price only $199 so when they are on sale they will be really cheap. Only problem is they are brand new and there are no reviews or test done on them. I won’t buy one until I start seeing testing on them.