Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 20-21

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Better luck next time!

Btw, I shot that rifle today after a thorough bore cleaning. I’m still not impressed with its abilities. I really don’t think I’ve developed an issue with shooting, I’ve either got a less than ideal gun or the ammo sucks. I’ve never had a 22 give me fits. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Jamie

Ohio
well, it isn't like we are in great need of more dead squirrels around here. ;)

I maintain that it is the ammo and not the gun or the shooter. you shoulda taken some of my CCI's to at least try it. I'm betting once you find the right ammo, and run a few hundred rounds through it, precision shooting will not be a problem for that gun. I have myself a Henry rifle now, too, finally. Big Boy Steel in .41 mag. sold to me used, as new. supposedly fired 12 times, and it looks brand new to me. Merry Christmas to me. :D Imma make a deer killer outta this giblet.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
well, it isn't like we are in great need of more dead squirrels around here. ;)

I maintain that it is the ammo and not the gun or the shooter. you shoulda taken some of my CCI's to at least try it. I'm betting once you find the right ammo, and run a few hundred rounds through it, precision shooting will not be a problem for that gun. I have myself a Henry rifle now, too, finally. Big Boy Steel in .41 mag. sold to me used, as new. supposedly fired 12 times, and it looks brand new to me. Merry Christmas to me. :D Imma make a deer killer outta this giblet.
Yes well, you’re likely the oldest living man in the state of Ohio that has never killed a deer with a gun aside from a handgun. It’s about time for you to grow up. 😁
Regarding my little gun, if in fact it is an ammo issue i will be pleasantly surprised. 1” groups at 25 yards, maybe even worse, just doesn’t make good sense. I’ll be on the lookout for 22 ammunition.

Reactions: Mike and Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
Yes, 1" groups at 25 yards seems awfully loose, even with questionable ammo. I really don't know what kind of accuracy a lever gun like yours is capable of, but if you want some insight, I'd suggest paying a visit to Rimfire Central. mountains of information about everything rimfire there.

Nancy and I got skunked yesterday. first time this season that I did not see a single squirrel. The dogs ran their butts off, and went to a few dens, but there was just no signs of life in the squirrel woods yesterday. weird.

Nancy had stuff to do today, and we are going on an all day hunt tomorrow, so I took the dogs out by myself today. It was a beautiful morning, and very nice with just me and the mutts. I treasure my time in the woods, and especially when I'm out with my dogs. I've been taking lots of people squirrel hunting with me this season, and have only been out by myself a couple of times before today. I was planning to hunt for just a couple of hours so as not to run the dogs ragged. I want them rested for tomorrow. What in the hell was I thinking, lol? I let them off their leads at 9:40.These two were absolute beasts today. Slick did the heavy lifting, like he usually always does, but Lefty is hunting with as much gusto as he has in a very long time. Slick got the first two, then they hit one together, then Lefty got one of his own. I was patient playing hide and seek with all of them, and the dogs stayed treed pretty well for longer than they usually will, and I was able to make good head shots on all of them. four in the bag in less than an hour. Slick got on one a couple of hundred yards out, and Lefty was barking a little a couple hundred yards away from Slick, but in the same general direction. Slick worked up to his "I'm totally sure now" bark which is about two octaves lower than his sort of whiney "I think I smell something" bark, so I headed toward Slick, and no sooner than I started picking up the pace, I could see that Lefty was making a bee line to Slick and joined the chorus. as I approach the dogs on a tree I stop and take a look with binos as soon as I can tell what tree they are on. this time I was about 100 yards away, but as soon as I put my glasses up, I saw two squirrels dancing around in the tree. I'm all but running toward them now, and as I got close, both squirrels bailed. the dogs both saw just one and followed, so I did, too. squirrel was frantic to get away and fell trying to negotiate some tiny limbs up high and fell. Somehow, it caught itself on some skinny branches about 20 feet off the ground. I thought for sure he was going to hit the ground, but got up a tree and took off again. after covering about 60 yards in and out of a half dozen trees, dogs right under it the whole time, squirrel laid up in a pretty huge red oak. as I circled tree I finally found the squirrel, but had to move a good ways to get a look at something besides his tail. I finally found a position that gave a look at about 1/4 of it's head. Figuring I wasn't going to do any better with this one, I took the shot and missed low. Squirrel took off up the tree higher but did not timber out. I got into position again, the dogs still hot on the tree. lots of clutter between me and squirrel this time and I had to stand on my toes to put the reticle on his head. I shot and missed again and the squirrel timbered out 50 0r 60 yards, and almost back to the tree they were in to begin with. The dogs stayed with it again and I had to find the squirrel after I caught up with them. I had another tough shot at about 1/4 of the head again. I rushed that shot a bit and missed, again. I might have been a little keyed up myself by then, lol. The squirrel just slid around the 8" trunk. I could see its feet, and the dogs were on the tree hot, so I just waited patiently for the dogs to move a nervous squirrel enough to get a better shot. After about 3 solid minutes looking through my scope at a squirrel shifting a few inches back and forth around the tree trunk, it finally came around enough to show me half its head and held still long enough for me to put a bullet in it, finally. :D I was really happy to knock that one out as both dogs put on a clinic staying with that one through all of that. With five in the bag, I turned them back toward the truck, and it took Slick about ten minutes to find another. I had a long walk of 300+ yards stepping over large dead ash trees and their broken pieces every ten feet to get there. When I could see the dogs they were both on a medium size shagbark hickory. I took a quick look with my binos, didn't see a squirrel, so I got closer and start circling and looking, expecting to find a hole as hickories are frequently den trees. I get about 270 degrees around tree and see the dogs are not looking at the tree they appeared to be on, but looking right at a squirrel not 15 feet off the ground in very small tree. I took a quick rest and put one in the noggin. that was number 6, so I didn't waste any time getting back to the truck, but I did have call Slick back in from a couple hundred yards out once I got across a small swollen creek. That dog never quits. After I dropped the tailgate I checked the time and it was exactly 11:30. I'd guess that I walked about 3 miles on this mornings hunt, so we covered some ground, but it was pretty much non-stop. First limit I've bagged by myself this season. I sure have been blessed with a pair of special dogs. helluva a performance from both of them this morning. Saw 7, killed 6

12-29-20.jpg

Slick 63
Lefty 39

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
I really thought we would do better today. I figured squirrels would be out and about ahead of this weather, and squirrel rut should be firing up any minute now. The dogs did hunt what's left of their cropped tails off, but we only saw 5 squirrels, all five came home with us. Slick treed all five of them. His comfortable working speed is easily twice that of Lefty, probably more, and he just beats Lefty to the active squirrels. Lefty is never far behind, though, unless he's on another squirrel himself. Nancy made nice head shots on the first three, and a very difficult shot at a squirrel swaying in the wind pretty bad. The third one fell into a small creek and Slick fetched it out for me. That's the third time he's brought me a dead squirrel out of the water. The fourth one was treed a quarter mile from where we were, and was at the head of a drainage with no large trees, CRP on two sides, and corn stubble on the other. we had a long, arduous walk up a very tight creek bottom through briars and very thick Japanese Honeysuckle to get the the dogs, who were going ballistic the entire time. They had something, but I was doubtful that is was a squirrel. I was cussing the dogs out one side of my mouth and singing their praises out the other for the entirety of our death march to get to them. When we finally got to them, they had a squirrel alright, up the only tree over ten feet tall. No rest for shooting when standing in Pheasant cover or under the canopy of very large bush honeysuckle. I instructed Nancy to take her time and make the off-hand shot. I got down in the thick shit to move the squirrel to her, and she got a nice look at the squirrel, but whiffed. Squirrel started down the tree, I attempted a hasty shot through a bunch of junk and, of course missed, but the squirrel kept coming down. I hollered at Nancy to not shoot anymore as the squirrel was at eye level and frozen. the dogs were on the other side of the tree, and I don't think they saw how close to the ground the squirrel was. I told Slick to come and he came around the tree just as the squirrel bailed out to the ground from about five feet up, and the chase was on. Squirrel made it about 20 yards and Slick had him. I heard the rat squealing for a second then Lefty grabbed the squirrel up and I juiced him off of it, as I figured it was pretty mangled already. Slick got himself another one. That is the third uninjured squirrel he has caught, and that, gentlemen, is nothing but pure natural badass squirrel dog instinct with the physical skills to pull it off. You cannot teach a dog to do that. I didn't take any pictures today except this one of Slick in his moment of glory after treeing, catching and killing a squirrel and gathering a little squirrel blood war paint for the rest of the hunt. This is a once in a lifetime dog. I'm very thankful that I'm able to enjoy his talents to the maximum.

12-30-20.jpg

We made one more drop, and Slick hit one a hundred yards from the truck. It was the easiest shot Nancy had all day, and she missed. Squirrel timbered out immediately and the dogs stayed with it. I wound up shooting that one and it would be the last one we saw before the rain set in for good. Another banner day for Slick, on a very average day of squirrel hunting.

Jamie

Ohio
finally back in the woods today. after a week long hiatus due to weather, ML season and a paying job. I went to three sort of weird/crappy spots that I have not been to this season just to see if we could find a few, and we did. Both dogs were really not behaving very well today. Lefty didn't do hardly anything besides demolish every squirrel that hit the ground until I electrocuted him off of them, Slick would not listen or stay on a tree to save his sorry ass today. It was tough sledding all day trying to get reasonable shots, and I only got a couple of those. The rest were through lots of branches and at squirrels being very uncooperative. Still, Slick found 6, Lefty found two. I walked away from one that I had a good shot at, but Slick would not stay on the tree. I didn't feel like tying him, so I left it. Another got away on a double that I did not even realize until after I shot one and got Lefty off of it. Lefty saw it, but Slick did not, and it watched it dash into a hole while I was stowing the one I shot in my vest. Slick did hunt his ass off, and we got a limit, so this hunt wasn't a total fuck up, lol.

1-7-21.jpg

Slick 74
Lefty 41

Jamie

Ohio
Lefty not interested in getting in the truck today, and he's gimping on a front leg a little, so he stayed on the bench. I started about an hour later today than usual, around 10 by the time I turned Slick loose the first time, I've noticed the last few times out the dogs going to dens/nests early, then by 10 or so, they are hitting active squirrels. Slick went to two dens before he found a live one, and only went to one other den the whole time we hunted. Not much fooling around today only hitting three dens. I put him in another lesser spot first today, and he managed to find four for me pretty fast, and one was a grey squirrel, which is very unusual for this place. Some tough shooting for me standing in a sea of that godforsaken bush honeysuckle, but all four eventually died from a leadache, and a couple even came quietly. I didn't have a good place to peel these four, so we loaded up and by 11:30 we were on our way to stop number two where I was able to get out of the wind to clean our take. As soon as I got those four cleaned, off we went again. Slick took off cross country, going nearly 400 yards as fast as he could do it before opening up again. I made good time on a pretty easy walk, and he stayed put like a tree dog ought to. I found the squirrel pretty soon and maneuvered into position for the easiest shot I had today. I actually saw the brains spray out of this rats head through my scope on that shot. fucking savage. and neato! I sent Slick off again, and he went another 300 yards or so before he cut loose again. I arrived to find the squirrel way up in the top of the tree swaying over a foot back and forth in the wind. I either whiffed on the moving target or hit some of the many branches in the way, but two other squirrels started dancing around in the same tree after I shot. I fired a couple more times, hitting only twigs and air. One finally timbered out, and Slick stayed with it through a couple of trees as I watched that one dash into a hole with Slick right under him., The other two stayed put, so I, with some difficulty, managed to call Slick back to the original tree and he was more than happy to stay when he saw me raise my gun again. I ended up shooting the one that I saw first. It came down the tree darn near half way and got into a crotch after the third time I missed it and stayed put during the melee. Is much easier to shoot them in the head when they aren't running around or swaying in the breeze. ;) saw 8, killed another limit, and on our way home with six skinned squirrels by 1:00. Slick and me livin' right, I tells ya.

This dog is dangerously alert and tenacious. after I shot number six and packed it away, Slick sprinted back to the tree where he chased the squirrel into the hole and went about making sure I was coming for a look. I knew the squirrel ran into a hole, but he was sure it was still there. crazy smart this dog is.

back on the hole tree again
IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

Slick 82
Lefty 41

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This has to be one of the coolest threads I’ve ever followed along on. Ive been reading it for awhile but not sure I ever commented. Thanks for sharing the stories and pics. Really awesome Jamie!

Reactions: Mike and Jamie

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great times indeed!
Say when.
I’ve yet to find any 22 ammo but haven’t given up hope locally.