Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2017: The Chronicles of Lefty and Slick, Chapter II

Jamie

Ohio
Oh, I'll make it out. weather going to be pretty lousy, but you hunt when you can, while you can.

any idea of that dogs name or his owners name? it's pretty hard to kill 244 squirrels in Ohio over a dog with the awful weather we've had(hell, with perfect weather) no matter where or how much you hunt or how good your dog is. I would assume that this fellow runs his dog(s) out of state regularly and does not have a job. Still, I'd like to meet him and pick his brain.

Actually, I grew up in the 80's. born in 68. I had long hair, and even an earring for several years back in the day. Probly even banged heads with Brock at a Metallica concert. seemed pretty cool at the time. times change. good luck to you to, J. :smile:

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh, I'll make it out. weather going to be pretty lousy, but you hunt when you can, while you can.

any idea of that dogs name or his owners name? it's pretty hard to kill 244 squirrels in Ohio over a dog with the awful weather we've had(hell, with perfect weather) no matter where or how much you hunt or how good your dog is. I would assume that this fellow runs his dog(s) out of state regularly and does not have a job. Still, I'd like to meet him and pick his brain.

Actually, I grew up in the 80's. born in 68. I had long hair, and even an earring for several years back in the day. Probly even banged heads with Brock at a Metallica concert. seemed pretty cool at the time. times change. good luck to you to, J. :smile:

Dean Ziegler, used to run the deer Jurassic show.

I missed out on the 80’s hair era lol... Went to basic training with hair half way down my shoulders lol...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
METALLICA! Heck yes! Legend Valley, 1992 I think. Only saw them once, did not go to jail. It was awesome!

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
I guess times haven't changed too much. I'm still a Metallica fan. Dog vests are made by Hurtta. Slick has nearly demolished his, but Lefty's is hanging tough. A testament to how different two dogs can hunt. Still, I'm very happy with them, and when they are worn out, I'll buy them again unless I can find something better, which is not likely. sorry I don't have any better pics of my gun. never had a reason to take any, I guess.

Lefty would not get into the truck this morning. sat next to the door and whined. I walked back to the house, he quickly followed and dashed inside when I opened the door. He did not want to go with us today. Oh well, Slick had another great day today. Hunted his ass off like he always does, and found the meat in tough conditions. We got six, which was all we saw, but went to a dozen or so dens. Weather was better than expected, but the wind was terrible. A good hunt to end the season, for sure. Slick pretty tired when we were done today. :smile:

1-31-18.jpg1-31-18 1.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
Nicely done.

Slick is proving his value in a hurry.

Lefty...he's about ready for left field...the soon to be couch dog.

Great way to end the season.

Jamie

Ohio
thanks, fellas. I'm afraid you are right about Lefty, Buckmaster. pains me beyond what I can articulate. J, I have not done a tail count yet. I need to rest and drink some Gin. count them up tomorrow if I don't climb into a treestand.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Slick is a looker, and so is Lefty. I can't help but wonder if he has just decided you prefer Slick. He hunted amazingly well for us on your first trip down last year. Of course that was before Slick really hit his stride. Who knows. Sad to think of that boy wanting to stay home. Good to see you finished a tough season with a strong showing! Can't wait to do it again next year!

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
Yes, that is exactly the problem, J. He has never hunted very well with any other dogs. Slick is no exception, although I hold out hope that it might still work out. the odd thing about it is that in any other circumstance, Lefty is perfectly fine around other dogs and people. always well mannered and social. Whether we're at home doing stuff or visiting friends or family, Lefty is a joy to be with. Lefty did fine on the few times I took him out by himself this season, and I'm sure he will hunt by himself any time I take him. When we're in the squirrel woods, he wants me to himself. He's seriously butt-hurt over Slick.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
He doesn’t like the competition, see it all the time with beagles as well. Most of the time they’ll come back to the hunters and hang out. They do well on solo hunts but hate the competition of the pack and won’t pack up.