Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 21-22

Jamie

Ohio
Off to a poor start today. After a long walk to the woods we hunted the dogs ran off and treed fast. I got over to them as fast as I could and found them on two different trees about 30 yards apart. I gave both trees a quick look with binos, and spotted the one in Slicks tree. I looked over Lefty's tree a little better, but still did not see anything, so I went about taking a rest and as soon as pointed the gun up, both dogs ran off of their trees toward me. While I'm yelling them back on the trees I see two squirrels, on in each tree take off. Lefty's disappeared, Slicks timbered about 100 yards before finding a hole. Well, WTF dogs? That ain't how we's supposed to do it. no excuse for that shit from either one of them now. Oh, well. I sent them off, and Slick got on another one pretty fast. Lefty joined him, and I found the squirrel after walking about halfway around the tree looking. One in the noggin, and off they went. We hunted in this big woods for about another hour and only went to leaf nests and dens. Saw three killed one. My hip has been feeling pretty decent for the last few days, and was holding up, so I decided to clean this one, and hit a smaller woods where I wouldn't have to walk a half mile to get started. Again, Slick had one in about 30 seconds after leaving the truck, Lefty with him. Dogs did their damn jobs this time, I found the squirrel without my binos, so I got on a rest and fired. I could see some small twigs in the scope and hit them twice, bullets whirring across the woods. I moved a few feet to another rest and put one in it's head. Slick didn't go 50 yards before he started in with his "I'm on one, give me second to sort this out" barking. I look up in the first tree he barked on and there was a squirrel. I let him go on, and he got on another tree 40 yards away. I'm thinking he was confused about the direction and had backtracked to the wrong tree. Lefty came back in to join him after running off in the other direction. Both of them were pretty hot on the tree, so it occurred to me that there might be another squirrel. Sure enough, there was, and after a brief game of hide-and-seek, I finally had a shot, which I made. Dogs took off and treed again a good ways away. Neither of them sounded too sure, so I waited a couple of minutes thinking they would lose interest and move on. They kept on barking half-heartedly. I didn't want to do it, but I went to them anyway. I found what I was expecting; a small, empty tree. Didn't get any better after that. Slick made another tree on a giant Red Oak, and when I got there it had a big leaf nest in it, but I did see a squirrel in another big Red Oak about 20 yards away. I kept looking in the tree he was on, hoping he would get on the other tree. Neither of them did, so I figure there must have been two squirrels again. That one got to live, too. I saw a total of seven squirrels, killed the three I fired upon. The dogs only found five, the first two getting away because dogs were being shitheads. Lefty didn't do much today, only finding one of his own. Slick did what Slick does. Shooter did good today. Very mediocre day of squirrel hunting. Probably go tomorrow again if I can walk.

IMG_3639.jpg

Slick 6
Lefty 3

Jamie

Ohio
squirrels not moving on Wednesday much. I saw a total of three all day. Slick finally got one after we went to 6 dens. I shot it, Slick got another one about 200 yards later. When I got there I spotted the squirrel pretty fast, but took a rest and raised my gun 6 times before I had a clear shot at squirrels head, dogs doing their jobs well. on the 6th try, just as I settled the crosshairs on the eyeball, and started to apply pressure to the trigger, Lefty ran off of the tree at me, spooking the squirrel, which I never saw again. This ruined my day. I don't know why it bothered me so much this time, but I guess it was the last straw for me. Slick doing his job, and stayed treed while I tried to collect myself enough to keep from killing the brown one. Lefty has become a lazy, jealous, shithead of a dog. I'm out of patience for his disruptive behavior and general dispirited demeanor in the woods. It would be tolerable if all he did was come along and do nothing but enjoy the walk, but he interferes with Slick too much. Slick is different dog when Lefty isn't there. I wish I could say the same for Lefty.

I was so mad that I just walked the half mile back to the truck. I called Slick enough to keep him in sight because I wasn't about to go to another tree in that woods. I didn't really care if Lefty followed or not. I cleaned the squirrel and decided that I wasn't ready to go home yet, so I put them in another woods. Again, we went to several dens. Lots of barking and commotion, but squirrels not there. At one point I was watching Lefty with binoculars from about 200 yards away. He started barking, got on a tree. I saw the squirrel and was about to start marching when he just ran off the tree when he heard Slick barking. Unreal. That was the last squirrel I saw on Wednesday.

I had too much stuff to do yesterday to make it out, and had to look at some work this morning, but decided to hunt after I got home. I only brought Slick today. He is such a hard working dog. There is no quit in him. He went to several trees and was hitting them all hard, but they were all dens and nests. We were about 3/4 of the way around our loop in this woods when he took off clear across it, over 400 yards, and cut loose. I could barely hear him. I hobbled over there as fast as I could. It took a few minutes, but to his credit, he stayed treed hard until I got there. I had to l look for a minute, but I found the squirrel, and it was in a shootable spot. I watched him carefully as I loaded the gun, and he started to run to me. I yelled "NO", and he jumped right back on the tree. I put one in the noggin and rejoiced in the talent of my dog. Slick is a great squirrel dog. There is no way to dampen his spirit when he is in the woods. It is uplifting to hunt with a dog that can do what he does. I sent him off, and he went to work for a few minutes, but found another pretty fast. This one was right on the edge of the wildlife area, and only about 100 yards from two houses. I found the squirrel immediately when I got there, but I had to move 180 degrees around tree to put my back to those two houses. Slick kept the pressure on the whole time, and the squirrel did not move far while I got into position for a safe shot. Blew his brains out. I hope somebody was home and watching us. :D

We hunted our way back to the truck without any more action. I skinned these two and decided to hit a small woods. I let Slick loose and he sprinted out of sight. I kept waiting.... and waiting... and waiting and finally I hear him bark. I look at the tracker and he is 480 yards away, well off of the public ground. I made my way there as fast as I could, and he did have a squirrel. Would have been an easy shot, too. We were a long way from the boundary, and within sight of the house who's property I was probably encroaching on. I gave Slick his props, put him on a lead and walked him back to the boundary. When I let him loose, he went less than 100 yards and started barking on a tree. I was a little surprised that he actually had one. I had to move repeatedly to get a shot, and it took a long time. I attempted a shot through some clutter, but I saw the twigs bouncing when the squirrel didn't flinch. I moved again, and so did this squirrel. I attempted another less than desirable shot, and got the same result, but the squirrel timbered out this time. Slick stayed right on him until it dashed into a leaf nest. That was the last of our action for the day. We had a nice hunt. Saw four, killed two.

IMG_3644.jpg

Slick 10
Lefty 3

Jamie

Ohio
It was a tough week of squirrel hunting, and that is the way it goes sometimes. I had fun on Tuesday, and yesterday. I'll have fun on Monday because I'm leaving the bad dog at home again. He needs some time to get his head right.

Reactions: Boarhead

Jamie

Ohio
No offense, but he puts on a show every time we hunt with other people. does not matter who, although he does seem to like you for some reason, lol. Ya know, maybe he doesn't actually like me too much. He hates me like rebellious teenagers hate their parents. goes out of his way to be difficult. the ruiner of all things fun.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nancy would shoot me in the guts, then come for her precious. You are a good friend, and I would not subject you to her wrath. I am stuck with dog until the bitter end.
I certainly do not want to upset Nancy. You could certainly be stuck with worse dogs. But if you decided to dump him and come up with a cover story, you know he will be well fed in Greenfield.... even though he’s a horrible hunting partner. 🙄🙄

Jamie

Ohio
My love-hate relationship with Lefty is the stuff of internet drama and nothing more. He is a good dog, but a pain in my ass. No amount of money could get this dog away from me, but he is a pain in my ass. Still, his ill manor and bad tree etiquette makes for more interesting stories than "I turned the dogs loose, they found a bunch of squirrels. I shot them all in the head. We came home. I mean, the 4 people who still follow this journal deserve to be entertained a little, don't they? 🤷‍♂️

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My love-hate relationship with Lefty is the stuff of internet drama and nothing more. He is a good dog, but a pain in my ass. No amount of money could get this dog away from me, but he is a pain in my ass. Still, his ill manor and bad tree etiquette makes for more interesting stories than "I turned the dogs loose, they found a bunch of squirrels. I shot them all in the head. We came home. I mean, the 4 people who still follow this journal deserve to be entertained a little, don't they? 🤷‍♂️
That “4” readers might be missing a zero or 2 😂

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
Had a pretty nice hunt today. Lefty behaved like a hunting dog, mostly. We started a little earlier than I have been. Both dogs ran by one that I happened to see. I suspect that it had not been on the ground at all yet before the dogs went by. Slick got one pretty fast. I got there just in time to see him leave the tree for good, Lefty stayed treed, and I shot the squirrel out to him. That is the only squirrel he will get credit for, but he didn't even find it. :rolleyes: The dogs went on a hunted a good while, hitting a couple of trees hard, but they were holes and nests. Slick finally took off and found one on a small ridge lined with enormous red and white oaks. He stayed treed very solid while I made my way there and until I shot the squirrel. After a couple more dens, Slick took off for parts unknown. He was treed for a minute before I could even hear him barking because he was so far away. Off I went 500 yards to reach them. By the time I got there, both dogs seemed to be losing interest, but I gave the big Sycamore they were on a very thorough scanning. I could not find a rat, so I sent them off again. Just as the dogs got out of sight again, I was standing underneath the tree they were on. I looked up, and there were two squirrels on the main trunk up about 40 feet in plain sight. :oops: Slick had lucked into a double, and I overlooked both of them. Both squirrels moved around the tree when the dogs took off. They were not there when I was actually looking for them. They were hiding from me pretty easily in such a big tree, Still, that is all on me. Slick did his job just fine. The next thing I know, the dogs are in the next county, AGAIN. This was a long and painful walk. I got my foot caught on a very small but tough vine or something and nearly did a face plant in a bunch of briars. It happens, but my hip went from a tolerable 4 on the pain scale to an 8 when I tried to keep from eating dirt and thorns. Dogs were still barking like crazy, and when I finally made it to them after covering over 500 yards, they were on another Sycamore (this spot is a river bottom), but this one had several big holes, and so did the one next to it. I looked and looked, completely circling the tree, and looking in others nearby. The dogs did their job, but I never did see a squirrel there. I'm sure there was one, but it was probably in a hole long before I got there. We turned back and Slick found another one on the way. I had a short walk of less than 100 yards to this one, but it was through some nasty greenbriars and bush fucking honeysuckle. I saw the squirrel as I approached, and it saw me. After a few minutes of maneuvering and hide and seek, I finally had a shot, which I made. Three in the bag, two that I overlooked and one the dogs ran by. That is a good morning hunt. We went to a couple more dens before heading back to the truck.

I cleaned the squirrels and drove to another spot. This was supposed to be a shorter hunt. Yeah, right. As if that can ever happen with Slick, lol. Both dogs opened up together, so I don't know for sure who found this one, but my money is on Slick. I could not find the squirrel at first. After a couple of minutes this one got pretty antsy and moved. that is when I saw it long enough to watch it run up the tree another 20 feet, then bail out to the ground from about 60 feet up. Slick saw the flying squirrel and nearly caught it as it landed, but missed, and a very frantic chase ensued. Lefty missed the whole thing and was still barking on the original tree. At least it was the right tree, :LOL: Slick stayed on this one's ass until it got up another tree. When he opened up, Lefty took off, and I made my way there as fast as I could. Squirrels usually don't stop until they are in a hole in this situation, but this one did not. I found it way up in the skinny branches in the top of a huge maple. I got into good position and made another good head shot. I was really happy to get this one down for Slick. He earned it. We went to five or six more trees that the dogs were hot on, but never saw another squirrel. Saw 7, killed 4. I have shot every squirrel we have killed this season square in the head. I'm being more patient at getting good looks at their heads, and the gun is really shooting nice. If I cannot get a head shot, I'm walking away. I just don't need to kill squirrels that badly. Dogs did well today. Best hunt we've had so far.

first three.
IMG_3648.jpg

Slick 15
Lefty 4