Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stale Mate tonight

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well. It was my first time out this year this evening. After all these years I should have known better... Tonight I came to some realizations. #1 is that trail cams create over confidence; I have hunted "old school" ( trail sign) all my life. This summer I bought my first trail cam and watched it all summer. Every so often I would put out some sort of bait to give me a sort of summary or total of what was out there. Deer, turkey, coon and so on. Having checked the card, I knew that there were still 6 doe's as of a day ago so I knew I had a good shot at some meat for the freezer. With no regard to anything but when the sun sets I dressed and headed out for a 3.5 hr evening hunt...

I have 4 stands in our woods. The stand I go to is based on wind... except tonight. In fact everything I consider before going out was forgotten except that there were 6 deer out here last night... Jeesssh

So. The stand was all wrong for the wind. Its washing back and forth, up and down the woods..I realized that 15 min. after hauling my fat ass up the tree and settling in. Then I started worrying that I'd get busted by the group. (You know the type of busting where one looks up and points at you and yells LOOK! THERE HE IS!!! then they all blow out of there and forever after look at your tree whenever they are in your neck of the woods forcing you to move to another tree that is never as good...)
Now. Any one with some time in knows that when its windy out there the deer get Really jumpy cause they can't hear. Well 2 hrs from sunset this good sized doe comes in. She wants to come in but I think she smelled me but can't see me. She's bobbing her head and just wound up tight as a spring. Shes 20 feet out and limbs are in the way. Now 15 ft out, then 12 friggen feet. But coming straight at me. I don't dare move. Every so often I see her twitch at a noise. "man, if ever a deer was gonna duck my arrow, she will. She's wired" If she'll just get under and past me, I'll have the shot. She's looking EVERY where but up then she must have smelled or herd something cause she jumped, spun and ran back the way she had come about 30-35 yards then stopped and looked back. That took 40 some min. I lost her in the leaves but knew she was gonna circle. 20 min later, she came in again but this time it was from the west. (before it was from the north) "shit. here we go again" 35 yards and leaves, 30 and brush, 25 and "o shit. I can't believe I dropped the arrow. I haven't dropped a arrow off the bow in years and years. Dam, I knew I didn't like the way that knock slid on the string. shit. shit. shit..." She was still there and behind a red oak so I grabbed another arrow.She stepped out and offered me a head and upper neck shot or ass. No vitals... But shes gonna gimme 3 steps and I'm gonna drop her at under 18 yards... Aaaaany time now... com-on already.

I don't know. what finally did her in but it wasn't me. She turned and fast walked back the way she came and never looked back. No stomp. No blow. nothing. Just walked back to the west.

I'm calling it a stale mate cause she never did make eye contact. The stand is still good..But I didn't get the shot.

Its almost a blessing. had the 6 does been there instead, surly I would have been busted. Maybe...

Maybe not..
I'll let you know.:smiley_breakdance:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Mature deer have a sixth and even seventh sense. They sense danger better than no other. I am a firm believer of that. It would take me an hour to tell you all the stories about big deer that have hung up just short of my kill range, or one step short of a shooting lane. It's just something they are born with.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great story, man been there before with mixed results. She lived to play another day... Good luck with her the next time.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Sorry about the news Big Bro. Good read I might add.

Feel like I was right there with ya. Were you in the ladder stand where your camera was?

Oh, just so you know I pulled mine the last time I was home so if you don't see em that's why.

Good Luck today.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Riverdude,"camera stand"

Glad to know you pulled-em. was wondering but figured I'd ask next time we talked.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As our friend Bowhunter57 says "It is called hunting, not getting." Felt good to be out there though, didn't it?

blemas

Summit County
Theres always the sequel, or the trilogy, or the second half or the 4th quarter.......Whatever metaphor you'd like to use.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be so dang fun!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Gotcha on the "Camera Stand"..........just like the "Teepee" stand, lol.

Yea I pulled them since we have been down here working so much and did not want to take a chance some Yahoo walking in our woods would find them.

Good Luck this afternoon. :smiley_bril:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nothing for the last 2 days...
Tried to draw on one of 2 turkeys this morning but the older one busted me from my stand... Dang. Their jumpier than the deer

Deer movement is changing. I found a new scrape made last night today

Last edited: