Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Starlink freaked me out last night

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Standing on my deck last night having a smoke and looking up I was freaked out...

Around 5:57pm, I saw what I thought was over a dozen satellites in a row going west to east. I've seen plenty of single ones but never so many traveling like that.

Once it was over, I went inside to look it up. Ol Elon Musk and his Starlink made me think we were about to be struck or sumthing...lol

Guess I missed that in the news.

Tonight at 6:01 they fly over again. 340 mile up. This time I'll enjoy the sight a little more.

Tracker- https://findstarlink.com/

P8riot

Carbon, In
Unsettling indeed. Hard to think its not going to be used for something...well, evil!
1699746835707.png

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yep, got the whole family out to watch em zoom by tonight. We watched em on the map then watched 30+ zoom by! I am really not liking that our night sky is human modified. I know it has been for decades, but man, this is nuts.....

Did you see the trend of the village elders talking about the Mir night sky is not the same, the earth has tilted. It's not global warming, it's mich bigger.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep, got the whole family out to watch em zoom by tonight. We watched em on the map then watched 30+ zoom by! I am really not liking that our night sky is human modified. I know it has been for decades, but man, this is nuts.....

Did you see the trend of the village elders talking about the Mir night sky is not the same, the earth has tilted. It's not global warming, it's mich bigger.

They'll disperse soon enough and not stay in a close line. Eventually though they'll cover the earlth like a grid.

Reactions: 5Cent

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's really pissing off the astronomy people. They rely on telescopes taking photos of stars at specific times to see if they move, which if they do, then they're a possible planet or asteroid, plus they get information for how far stars are away by things that move in front of or behind them. All their images are being scribbled on by starlink and it's pissing them off.

0x0.jpg

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Funny you post this Jim. I was changing at my truck after my hunt last night and observed them passing over. Not knowing what it was, I texted a few others on TOO who clued me in.

Reactions: CJD3 and 5Cent

P8riot

Carbon, In
It's really pissing off the astronomy people. They rely on telescopes taking photos of stars at specific times to see if they move, which if they do, then they're a possible planet or asteroid, plus they get information for how far stars are away by things that move in front of or behind them. All their images are being scribbled on by starlink and it's pissing them off.

View attachment 187529
If these are such a problem, why don't they show up in "pictures" of Earth. Any space footage they show us doesn't have all this space junk they speak of in the background. Just questions and I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If these are such a problem, why don't they show up in "pictures" of Earth. Any space footage they show us doesn't have all this space junk they speak of in the background. Just questions and I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Distance and angles. If you're on the dark side of the earth that means the sun is behind you or at least to the side, the highly reflective satellite is in the suns light above you so you get the reflection. The satellites themselves are only 300 or so miles away. Pictures from space that encompass the entirety of the earths lit up surface are taken from thousands upon thousands of miles away. The sattelites are there, they're just tiny. For example the moon is like 240,000 miles from earth. That's my theory anyway.

This one was taken from about 7.5 million miles away.

oX5NbVXcWYf3og4C8TEGGb-970-80 (1).jpg

And this one from around a billion miles away. No joke. A billion. Earth is the tiny speck in the far right light ray slightly lower than center frame.

HK6YUMEcVbSVFYCgmdPSbh-970-80.jpg

Last edited: