Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stay humble brothers

I recall one year having my buck decoy set up on a little food plot and a neighbor stumbled up on it wondering why it didn't spook as he walked a trail. He had been friends to my uncle for years and helped him out often so it was not uncommon for him to walk the trails now and then. Of course I was pissed at the moment but I just whistled to him and soon he realized what was going on. He apologized later for it but I just reminded him that he was welcome to continue walking but at the same time be aware that once deer season was in we could be down any time. Biggest thing is it's nice to allow others to enjoy things now and then that sometimes we take for granted.

Reactions: giles

OO2

In the Uplands
I don't know guys...people walking on MY railroad in the morning gets me going hahah.

Good post. Something I realized after y'all set me straight.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
The only property I have to hunt this year is at the tail end of rebuilding the house. It burned down about 2 weeks before Xmas last year. I think the deer have grown accustomed to the noises of the rebuild. Still not seeing much lately though. Its been discouraging and has kept me from going out as much as I would like too. I also don't have any woods to hunt, it 2 big open fields and the property line is a tree line without much for climbable trees. Ill definitely be looking for additional property next year. I am however very thankful for the property I do have to hunt. Id hate to be stuck on public land around these parts. The search continues...

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
People don't bother me. Chipmunks on the other hand piss me off. Lol

I use to hunt public land only. Being a transplant from Georgia and not having all the connections that locals have made it tough for me to find a place to hunt. So I hunted Paint Creek State Park for many seasons. I used to deal with the hikers, bikers, and other hunters. It never really bothered me as much as it was entertaining. Amazing some of the stuff you see perched up 25' and then not knowing you were there. I had a hunter one time climb a tree 15yards from the tree I was in. I whistled so he would know I was there. He acted all pissed off as he climbed back down and packed his gear. He made as much noise as he could walking back towards the parking area. Hour later I had deer moving through like nothing happened.

My time in the woods is precious to me. It gives me that chance to catch up with my thoughts and with God. Sometimes I get to see deer. That is my bonus.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
People don't bother me. Chipmunks on the other hand piss me off. Lol

I use to hunt public land only. Being a transplant from Georgia and not having all the connections that locals have made it tough for me to find a place to hunt. So I hunted Paint Creek State Park for many seasons. I used to deal with the hikers, bikers, and other hunters. It never really bothered me as much as it was entertaining. Amazing some of the stuff you see perched up 25' and then not knowing you were there. I had a hunter one time climb a tree 15yards from the tree I was in. I whistled so he would know I was there. He acted all pissed off as he climbed back down and packed his gear. He made as much noise as he could walking back towards the parking area. Hour later I had deer moving through like nothing happened.

My time in the woods is precious to me. It gives me that chance to catch up with my thoughts and with God. Sometimes I get to see deer. That is my bonus.

Well put.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This morning I had a doe in front of me @15 yards, neighbors about 300 yards south of where I was were changing out a bucket on their loader and were pounding out the pins... Made a hell of a racket and that doe could care less.... Now when the trains go by they stop what they're doin and look around but anything else they don't care about it if it's been part of the routine....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
The only big woods i know is the Allegheny NF in PA where I grew up with a high powered rifle in my hand and the areas around Athens while my time at OU.

Now I only hunt around 7acres. Our road is maybe 200yrds away and our house 300yrds behind me. Neighbor is running a chainsaw right now, one is running his sawmill and skid steerI can hear cars/motorcycles from 3 of 4 directions and there are 3 different dogs barking. Always fun when the top fuel and funny cars sound off in Sept and Oct just a few miles down the road. Its all about perspective....

The view over my right shoulder looking towards the road:
IMG_5444.jpg

At the end of the day, its just a damn deer. Killing is not why I hunt, perfecting what I can control and enjoying nature is. Its fun to chase big deer, but I get the same enjoyment from all of them...when they are feeding myself, my wife, born and unborn children. All 3 of my kids had venison in their veins while in the oven, thats what it is all about for me.

Last edited: