Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steel Pistol Targets

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here's what I came up with. The plates are fully adjustable for pitch towards the ground. IMG_20170704_103959119.jpgIMG_20170704_104006473.jpgIMG_20170704_103940099.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That turned out real nice, Mike! Those chains should hold up for quite a while.

Over the last 20 years we have replaced a lot of chains. Couple hits with a 44 mag 240 solid lead bullets wrecks the hell out of them.
Your weak point is the stud sticking out the back too long. Couple hits on the chain will break the stud off. I would bolt the chain directly to the target plate and use a large washer under the nut.
IMHO.
Used to shoot 5,000 rounds of full load 44 mag 240 gr lead bullet rounds per year when Ohio OK'd pistol hunting. My buddy Dale and I shot every Wednesday and Friday at a 6" steel target at 50 yds. Our average got to 9-10 hits out of 10 shots.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Shot the targets with my 7.62x39 AR at 65 yards. 10 for 10. Broke 2 bolts just like Frank said I would. The smaller targets were actually flipping over the top bar. Swooney broke one chain.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Shot the targets with my 7.62x39 AR at 65 yards. 10 for 10. Broke 2 bolts just like Frank said I would. The smaller targets were actually flipping over the top bar. Swooney broke one chain.

Easy fix. I don't know much only what I remember from experience.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice ideas. Bought some for my son a couple years ago. Don't think we have used them yet. Here I thought we would use the heck out of them. Always seem to forget to bring them. I need to change this.

00buck

I forget the angle or the pitch that the local pistol range has on there steel targets so the reflect into the ground question how do you clean up your empty casings

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I forget the angle or the pitch that the local pistol range has on there steel targets so the reflect into the ground question how do you clean up your empty casings

On auto rifles I use a brass catcher because I reload.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

On auto rifles I use a brass catcher because I reload.