Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stressless #1 Tip for Frost Seeding/Spring food plot prep for Turkey hunting

Stressless

Keene, OH
After creating the perennial food plots in the fall of 2016 I wanted them to rejuvenate in the spring at the earliest and last for as long as possible with the investment of time, $ and effort. One thing I've learned over the last number of years is the incredible return they give you in the spring. Most of my plots are not very wide and are surrounded by standing timber. The leaf matter that comes down is deep and dense -it will choke out a large percentage of the plot if not remediated. I overseed my plots heavy in Sep with winter rye to try and keep a green and growing base in the plots.

To maximize the plots I suck it up and blow the leaves off every late winter. I've done this for the past three years, in conjunction with frost seeding and the results are phenomenal. The last two turkey seasons I've harvested a Tom opening day and the following day with a bow. I believe it's due to the hens feeding there and the Tom's establishing the plot a primary strutting lane. Now this is my observation - I'm interested in other opinions / observations. I use a standard Husky backpack blower, try to get a ~ 80% clearing of the original leaves and of course this helps with locating the areas in the plots that ought to be frost seeded.

Working alone, I can clear the 4.5 acres of plots in a day. I haven't tried the tow behind 250mph blower but I'd be interested to know if folks have?

The plot in this thread is detailed in TOO thread here -> Creating a food plot on a pipeline.

Blowing the leaves off the vegetation is obliviously helpful for both seed to soil contact and to allow the plants to get teh most sunlight early on, speeding the green up. So here's some Pics to show the task and benies....

If possible I blow on a windy day/ align myself to allow the wind to help move the leaves off.
IMG_0021.JPG

Leaves moved off, frost seed the same day if possible to get the best seed/soil contact - very few seeds will lie on the leaves after you've blown them off the plot
IMG_0031.JPG

Once that is done the birds start to hammer the fresh greens
IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

Once you've established the feeding pattern the hens will it and the boys will line up
IMG_0373.JPG

Once you have the movement on the lush green -Struttin'- plot down setup the blind a day or two in advance and set out your Decoys
IMG_0054.JPG

It is repeatable!
IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaacorps

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice write up and beautiful birds! Good idea with the leaf blower too! That definitely adds to the attraction of that plot.

Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
My dad had a saying, "The harder you work, the luckier you get." Ohio Turkey season in the bag - from the above photos it's not a stretch to get "lucky" again in the woods. OH turkey season #1 on opening day #2 on Wed of opening week.

The hens and Tom's start coming in Feb then thru Mar and into the season. They come to some plots I created 5 years ago and some last Winter, opening them up by removing the leaf matter over some some good plot greens has been a exponential success. It's really a matter of some scouting and a good setup - and luck.

Got #1 on opening morning.
94329131_10219524686781460_5134819808243613696_o.jpg

#1 losing his head over all this...

Got it done for #2 Wed of opening week, Second/Last tag filled. Now no excuse to not get the farm chores out front and whittled down.
94610255_10219546700451788_5854234784603045888_o.jpg

#2 taking a 3 pack of 2.25" blades

4 days after this one fell, my buddy has this happen on his hunt. The Toms, start using them as strutting lanes and become habituated to using them and don't even flinch when their buddy gets his throat cut at 6 yards!

Best Regards,
Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
The results are in the picture below and well - I'm a believing believer now. I've got crap soil, my very best plots have very low organic matter and the worst are made on top old strip mine spoil piles of acidic shale piles. After one pass with the harrow I went back and couldn't find any debris that was still matted to the soil or would prevent a Clover/BFT/Chicory from being able to contact the soil.

I still blew off three plots but only harrowed my favorite turkey spot. We'll see.... but the harrow takes 1/10 the time of blowing the plots - attracting turkey is an objective but not if the frost seeding and overall plots fails to perfrom up to blowing the leaves off.

Half of Pipeline plot with a 6'x8' harrow.
20210312.jpg

So far Objective #1 is being met...
19820.jpeg

Reactions: Big_Holla

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Looks like a leaf blower is in my future. If you see from my posts I've got a nice lane right in the middle of a wood lot that this could be huge for. What are you planting? clover? or?