Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stressless's 2021 Season Journal

Stressless

Keene, OH
Got .66" of rain today at the farm and just in time for the plots - kind of figured I'd replant if it got to 2-3 weeks with no rain. Supposed to do 1" tomorrow and if that happens I'll be done with anything "plot-ish" until I blow the leaves off next spring. This .25 acre of oats and peas has really filled in in the last 9 days - I think the rye and clover stuttered a bit but with the juice today and 🙏 tomorrow it'll really fill in the horizontal space.

IMAG0221-100-221.jpg

A deer blowing in the front of the 9 deer food line and that's kinda cool.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Really happy with 1.12" of 🌧️ today. That'll be a wrap for any planting of the food plots.

Best of luck to anybody fortunate enough to get to go sit on this Sat Opening Day Cold front. 🦌 getrdone.

First Ohio opener ill miss in 15 years. As for the rain, keep it, we've had about 7 days of it down here. I bet we had 9 inches

Stressless

Keene, OH
I feel you, over here in the panhandle I had a 5 gallon bucket fill completely up out on my open patio.... 17"-18" with pre-Nicholas to about Sunday...

While I watched my plots get zero up North.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I feel you, over here in the panhandle I had a 5 gallon bucket fill completely up out on my open patio.... 17"-18" with pre-Nicholas to about Sunday...

While I watched my plots get zero up North.

I keep forgetting you're just down the road.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Boys will be boys..

Just watching the cell cams and counting the days. The brassicas got smashed by the deer so late season grub for them will be more scarce then the plan - not sure if I'll be able to get to Strouds now - project schedule slide to the right 'Su-prise Su-prize Surprise'.... dangiT.

Another Jr. Varsity match.. lol

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Couldn't take it and headed out a day or two ago, got the rye layered into the decimated brassicas areas yesterdaybefore. 6" of rain.

20211016_101928.jpg

This is by far the latest I've planted anything. Filled the empty feeders and gonna work out the kinks in gear for a day, then a couple days it'll be idle, back at it tomorrow and Mon AM then again Thurs.

Sitting for the first time in '21 this evening for whitetails, like to harvest a good doe. Don't expect to see much bone based on the cams reporting, I should have a initial list built by early next week.z

No sign of Niles or any bucks from last year except Dutton.

Very happy with the screen I tried this year, my fingertips are at 8'...

20211014_133745.jpg

1 Potato.JPG

2 Potato.JPG

Also looks like a got a good catch of the overseeded rye into the legumes- Spoil Plot doing well.

20211014_132109.jpg

Stressless

Keene, OH
One sit, one arrow. Meats back on the menu!
20211016_185217.jpg

Quartering away 22yds, older doe, had a 1.5 y/ barren doe and twin fawns in the family group. Clean pass thru with spitfire Maxx.

This was out of Pine Plot - where I shot "Father Bob" last year. Pine lot this year some stattered legumes but primaryily just mowed random 'pasture' grasses.
20211015_143710.jpg

They are still beating the tar (literally) out of the telephone pole.
20211015_143722.jpg

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Evening hunt. First time using the new access down the path I built along Cresent Pond, got into Spoil stand crossing in the defile right by the feeder. Spoil Plot is 45
yds to the left. Haven't hunted or accessed this stand before. I think it'll be killer when pre rut and rut.

20211017_165917.jpg

Stressless

Keene, OH
Off this evening on a work trip, paid for the in flight internet, checking cams at 30,000'.... toad showed up early this AM. I'll be making the list and this big bodied boy will be on it.

32860.jpeg

Doe all butchered and frozen so Chris and I will weapons free come sits Thurs-Sat. Camp is looking good and a couple last min touch-ups to two close stands might pay off.

One of the things I really enjoy, that I grew up with on the farm in NE OH is the foliage, the drought and warm Temps around the camp this year really put the colors off, disappointing but part of TOO differences.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That’s a good looking deer! Well worth checking the cam in flight!

Good luck with him or one of the many others that will soon show up on your slice of paradise.

Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
Flew back from work trip last last nite, rolled in 0130 and had seen (futur post for the hit list) but "Cosmo" ( yep the Seinfeld Boys this season.) showed up two of the three last days. I had been to Greenbrier plot Silver stand on the 15th for about a min and no bow holder plus the wind was really right for it - bailed immediately and went to Pine where I shot my first Doe.

Unnecessarily hopped on the bike and coasted down across the dam - felt like a whisper in the woods compared to walking in. I did walk back on the dam for this pic... just enjoyed the moment and the full moon for a couple mins then headed to the stand.
20211021_063103.jpg

As stated Cosmo was getting patternable and I took a shot at intercepting him, rain was forecast to come in 1000-1100 so I had planned to stop hunting at 0830. To give me time to Shoot, Wait, Track before the trail might get washed away. So Fawn/ Momma doe/ fawn come walking up Greenbrier proper. Like usual the fawns go hit the yellow acrons ( had glassed momma when she was coming up the plot and she fit the meat bill. So she walks in all attention to detail - BIG nose draws to get every scent, but I'm bulletproof in Silver.
Screenshot_20211021-100038_Gallery[1].jpg

She 'knows' the licking bracnch is there and once past the feeder gets all cjhill and just walks up to it and starts rubbing - this is the first deer I've harvested while actively or drawn to the licking branch - I have to tell you the rope failed on Sep 25 and just rehung that on the 14th.
PICT1164_2021092623199u6Oy.jpg

PICT1163_202109262319d24fH.jpg

..and back up with all kinds of noise and smell.
PICT0009_202110142012cqCb4.jpg

PICT0003_202110142012HQ0lN.jpg

From the IkS thread - Thx for the kind words fellas - I am pleased. It may seem I'm pushing the property hard with the posts but Three sits, three stands. totaling only about 20% of the 100 acres. Two arrows loosed and two clean harvests.

I'm really trying to manage (ORM) the pressure I'm putting on property, I really wanted to bag my does prior to the pre-rut - that'll happen next week, prolly peak around Halloween. Before it just goes sideways and any buck can be anywhere.

Back to today, she hit the branch, I drew with two fawns and a mature within 24 yards, she took two steps quartering away and stopped looking refreshed and away. THWACK - clean pass thru with the SPitfire Maxx, I moved up to the 125gr, always used cut on contact, and adjust down the 'energy' required for the three blades to open.. Where I've hit the last two deer I could have shot a sharpened dipstick and would have cleanly killed them.

She ran downhill, crashed into a couple trees I had cut at the far end of Greenbrier got up - crossed and crashed just out of eyesight.
20211021_091947.jpg

Chris will be camp tonight or tomorrow.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Heading out again i would have gone to 2" plot, Poplar stand but sent my buddy Chris to it. Haven't been in that corner since I filled the feeder on the 14th. He rolled in this afternoon and for his retirement he bought an ebike for access as well.

This is the first time we've both used them in a hunt together, and we used to hunt rabbits with the single shot 20ga all day back in '76-'82, ever That was a long ass time ago!

20211022_154534.jpg

So he's helped me with farm chores since it we got it. Sealng in the old cabin.
Retreat101.jpg

And lifelong friends- us fishing my farm pond in Greentown

rc017.jpg

So I put him in the stand this guy walked into last night.
33146.jpeg

We'll see....

Well the big boy for this year showed as scheduled, just a different stand... he stays on his feet in daylight- it'll be lights out.

33167.jpeg

Last edited: