Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Talking Turkey

Huckleberry Finn

I threw this little video together tonight. I was playing with my new slate call, an HS Voo Deuce (ceramic, rosewood striker) and thought I'd get some feedback on my calling. I can't say that I like this ceramic more than a traditional call, but it will be a good one to add to the arsenal.

[video=youtube;vufjbkRrJsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufjbkRrJsI[/video]

31 days to make that love music a whole lot sweeter! :pickle:

Suggestions welcome!

Huckleberry Finn

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not bad, Huck. All of the pot calls I've owned... whether they be slate, crystal, glass, whatever... end up having a "sweet spot." You have to tinker around a bit, but once you find it you're calling can be really consistent.

One question... when you're yelping, are you making the striker tip move in a straight line, curved line, or a circle? If I were to guess, I'd say you were moving it in a straight line back and forth. IMO, your yelps lack a little bit of pitch/tone variation. You want that initial high note to "fall off the table" into the low end. Your's almost sound more like a prolonged cut, instead of a yelp. When I cut on a pot call, I strike in a straight line back and forth... but when I'm yelping, my striker tip moves in either a backwards "J" or a circle. The picture below may help explain this a little better.

potcall_pattern.jpg

If you're already doing this, I apologize for the mistake. I'm just basing my guess off the sound. Even so, this is probably useful information for any beginning callers out there.

Your purrs sound pretty good, too. If anything, you may try to make them a bit softer. Try squeezing the striker slightly harder, or slide your fingertips down the striker closer to the pot.

Huck, I do think you sound plenty good enough to kill turks. In fact, most of the live hens I've heard in the wild would sound terrible on a competition stage... so trying to sound perfect may be all for not. If you're like me, though, you practice and practice and practice some more whenever using game calls, because they're just plain fun!

Huckleberry Finn

I read this again, so I'll edit my post and post again ;)

You're absolutely right though and I was wondering if someone would pick that up! For whatever the reason, and this is my first ceramic call, so maybe its that or the striker; but I'm physically having a difficult time getting a decent yelp making the backwards "J" or a circle. On my other slate, all day; and I think that one purrs better. But, the advantages of this one is that clucking is so easy, whereas I need to get the other one warmed up almost.

As for the volume, I was just making noise! I am always concerned in the woods if I am calling too softly, too loud....not to mention being worried about calling too much!

Thanks though, wow you sure do know a lot!

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I read this again, so I'll edit my post and post again ;)

You're absolutely right though and I was wondering if someone would pick that up! For whatever the reason, and this is my first ceramic call, so maybe its that or the striker; but I'm physically having a difficult time getting a decent yelp making the backwards "J" or a circle. On my other slate, all day; and I think that one purrs better. But, the advantages of this one is that clucking is so easy, whereas I need to get the other one warmed up almost.

As for the volume, I was just making noise! I am always concerned in the woods if I am calling too softly, too loud....not to mention being worried about calling too much!

Thanks though, wow you sure do know a lot!

lol... I don't know that much, Huck... I was just taking a stab at what I thought I was hearing. Have you scuffed the entire surface and try all around it to find the sweet spot? I've never ran a ceramic pot call so I really don't know much about them in particular.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Master the purr putt and you will start fillin shoe boxes with beards.

The key is to try and get as close to the gobbler as you can before you start callin...Do not call to him from great distances...Sneak..crawl..do whatever to close that gap...and then give him that Purr putt...Itll be over in minutes.

goodluck

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Hmmm..Gonna have to think about that one..never hunted out of a blind before...Give me a couple days..ill have an answer for ya:smiley_chinrub:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Well, At least you didn't call like this on live TV :smiley_crocodile:

[video=youtube;3pmqqFIsRwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pmqqFIsRwc[/video]