Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 3

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Went out this morning and seen nothing from 7:00 to 11:00AM. I'm starting to think I may have changed the deer travel habits by planting the food plot on the other side of the woods I'm hunting. I've always had good travel traffic on the East side of the woods on the N-S trail.
I'll hunt the West side of the woods on the other good N-S trail and plus I'll be able to hunt the E-W trail at the same time. This N-S trail is about 10 ft. inside the woods beside the food plot. We'll see in the morning.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Had family activities most of the weekend, so I didn't make if out until Sunday night. I should have stayed home. The weather was perfect but I got blanked from stand. I may try to get up and go tomorrow morning. Hope your weekend was better than mine.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Good to hear everyone seems to be getting out TOO....we had my sons birthday party this weekend, but i did hunt friday morning...had 3 does sneak in behind me, then they got downwind of me i think and didn't like something so they took off across the property to the neighbors...they didn't blow, just bound off together...hoping to get some more mor ing time this week in between family stuff and work...my metropark hunt starts on saturday, can't wait to see whats out there!

Good luck teammates and happy hunting!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been very busy and having fun with my brother enjoying ourselves here in Morgan county where we grew up and he still lives. Hanging out with our longtime hunting buddies and enjoying the relaxation.

I did some measuring on my deer I named TG8 or The Great Eight and he'll add around 89.75-90 points for our team. I just need to post up the pics in the harvest thread with the numbers.

I'll be helping add another 5 bonus very soon when I take Karissa out and snap a pic.

Keep on keeping teammates! It's really starting to amp up out there! Good luck and be safe!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Rick I am so hapoy for you buddy, that is a slob of an 8pt!! We deserved and look forward to seeing this guy when u get him back from the taxi.

YKW....that is alot of points for Team 3....nice work Rick!!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Absolutely couldn't be more happy for you Ric! I only dream of seeing deer like that around here, but i know i will have to travel someday to see them! Amazing season so far you, enjoy your time with your daughter in the woods!

I'll be out trying to add some points for us! Gonna tough out the wind as long as I can.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks teammates!!!! Good luck Adam and you other teammates heading out today! It's on!!!! IMO, lockdown is here in some places as well but it is just determined on if a hot doe is close to standing and is pinned down in an obscure place or not.
If you have more than one stand to hunt or better yet one area to hunt MOVE if things are quiet and dead after a two hour sit! It's happening somewhere!!!!! Just gotta find it!!!
The only way I don't move is if:
1.ive seen chasing or rut activity.
2.im in a great pinch with a perfect wind leading into or out of a doe bedding area.
3.i have no other place to go.

Good luck and have fun and enjoy!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Congrats Ric! One heck of a buck.

No luck here yet. I hunted Saturday and Sunday afternoon and only saw a button buck and basket 8. Still haven't seen anything worth shooting between four different counties. I'll get out a few more times this week. It only takes one.

Good luck guys!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats Ric on a great buck.
I've been hunting everyday and not seeing anything like normal in my woods pinch point. Normal years I would see 2-7 bucks a day going through looking for does. This year so for I've only seen 1 little spike chasing a doe.

This morning I went to hunt in my tower over on my food plot. No deer sightings.
Then at 8:00 a hunter carrying a shotgun and camp stool came walking through the neighbors hay field in front of my tower I have permission to hunt. I told him he was trespassing but he said NO he had permission to go through and use the trail up ahead.
Well this would put him directly behind my woods on the South side and probably turkey hunting. The wind comes out of the South and with his smell and sightings there the bucks and does are going somewhere else.
I'm calling the farmer and go talk to them and find out the details.
Wish me luck as this sure has screwed things up. If you remember during early ML season I seen 11 deer in less than 3 hrs. and now next to nothing.

Later up until 1:00 I did see 6 deer. 2 does, 3 fawns, and a little 4 point. Plus I heard a deer bark a warning up where he was.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks teammates!!! Hope you guys all kill a big ole buck soon! Don't get discouraged and just keep at it! There are a lot of areas in lockdown right now. As soon as that doe is bred the bucks will be out cruising again! Good luck guys!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Hunted 5 out of the last six day in funnels all over eastern Ohio and have nothing to show for it. It doesn't help that the main county I hunt in the southeast is down to pre-2000 buck population levels according to the DNRs own data. I have seen a few deer here and there on camera and in stand, but this is getting ridiculous.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Don't forget to enter your buck into the contest Frank. Good luck to our teammates still hunting! I was hoping to have enough does to possibly take another deer for meat but due to very low numbers in my area I'm eating this other tag! Ugh

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I'm eating bot of my tags...doe tag because it expired and I didn't find the antlerless that I did shoot, now my buck tag because i haven't had a single sign of deer for 3 weeks, only coyotes, rabbits, squirrels and mourning doves.

Congrats to you guys that put points on the board! I tried but came up empty handed. Had fun trying TOO.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I have been hitting it hard the last few weekends. I still have an either/or tag left and would like to stick a young doe. A lot of small bucks floating around, but the big buys have gone back to their refuge.

This season was one of the harder seasons for me. Reminded me a lot of the 1998-2001 years......

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Hi guys. I hunted hard this year and haven't seen a single buck worth shooting, for me. I am still hunting, but am in the same boat with Adam, as I don't have any shooters showing up, even over corn. In view of the lack of does in all of the rural areas I hunt, I haven't and won't shoot a doe a those places. I have one urban spot with good numbers of does where I may try to shoot one for smokies or summer sausage because we don't have anything in the freezer. Lots going on with family/kids so I don't know if I will get out again. I hear the fat lady warming up..............

Good playing with you guys this year!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Don't forget to get your deer entered. Contest ends Sunday:-(

Who's ready for Sept. To get here again! It was a pleasure to be y'all's teammate this year! Had a great time and y'all be safe and good luck till the fat women starts to sing.

Ric, FS