Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 9

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Well I ain't a happy camper right now. The farm I hunt sits right along the Cedar River and its northern drainage basin got MONSTER rains last night and today. Some areas got 10 to 12 inches! I looked at the river level prediction forecast and it looks like the majority of our plots will be under 10 feet of water for 4 or 5 days starting early next week. Fuggin crazy! I know the corn/beans are 'dry' but not sure how long they can soak under water before starting to rot. Anyone have any opinions on that?
We have about a dozen cams in the river bottom that I am going to go rescue after work today before the water flows down to us. So hopefully I'll at least have have something to post/share later tonight.

Well I ain't a happy camper right now. The farm I hunt sits right along the Cedar River and its northern drainage basin got MONSTER rains last night and today. Some areas got 10 to 12 inches! I looked at the river level prediction forecast and it looks like the majority of our plots will be under 10 feet of water for 4 or 5 days starting early next week. Fuggin crazy! I know the corn/beans are 'dry' but not sure how long they can soak under water before starting to rot. Anyone have any opinions on that?
We have about a dozen cams in the river bottom that I am going to go rescue after work today before the water flows down to us. So hopefully I'll at least have have something to post/share later tonight.

I would guess that it may kill the tops of your food plots depending on what plants. I would expect it to come back up though after a couple weeks unless it is an annual. Don't know for sure as I live in hill country where that isn't an issue. Keep us posted. I would think the deer being pushed to the high ground may result in some good hunting, if you are able to hunt it???

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Yea there is high ground on the farm. The water will drop to manageable level the first week of October, but I'm really just more concerned about losing our bean/corn plots for late season. I know from past experience the turnips, rape, oats, etc will be completed toasted.
Cam pull was not what I was hoping for. One pic of the regular with the flyer, and a medium 8 or 9 pointer. Pretty cool pic of a bunch of young turkeys too.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

CDY_0038.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
There's always tomorrow Aaron!
I'll be out with my youngest daughter tomorrow evening. It was just too hot out here today to go out tonight.
The flyer buck I've posted several pics of is a regular at the plot we will be sitting in tomorrow. He has been there several times in daylight also. With the drop in temps tomorrow I've got my fingers crossed! Here he is exiting the plot a couple days ago.

CDY_0052.jpg

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I got forced to work tonight so maybe Monday evening, he asked if he could miss soccer practice and I said that sounds like a great plan! Good luck this evening guys.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Congrats to you and your daughter IB. Good luck with your oldest. Layla and I hunted last night in her usual tree stand yesterday evening. We saw a basket rack 8 and 3 does. She wanted to shoot the basket, but I didn't let her. We are headed to a blind in a different location tonight. Good luck out there guys.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
No luck for Layla this weekend. We saw lots of deer but no shooters. Good news though. The buck she is after has been showing in daylight. My dad did kill a nice buck last night. Very happy for him.
image.jpg
image.jpg