Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team Young Guns

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody connected this morning around 8:00 after passing on the two jakes posted earlier.

Story in another thread.
turkey8.jpg

lung buster

hocking county
The young guns are smoking! Congrats to both! Andrew had one at 35 yds but they wouldn't come any closer. We worked 3 birds and he got to hear a ton of gobbling. So close but they were out of his range. We will be at it again in the am.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations to the youngsters! Took Mason and another boy out. Called in two right off the roost. Had 'em at 30 yds gobblin and strutting with no shot. That didn't last long as they apparently saw the other dad and son propped against their tree and left before anyone got a shot. They were the only birds we heard all morning. Lots of fun though and plan to go again in the morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No dead turks in this pic, but here is the crew we worked with today. It was a beautiful place to hunt too!

Attachments

• IMG-20130420-00726.jpg
    IMG-20130420-00726.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 84

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
This is how Brooke's morning looked!
DSCN0227_zps2a499031.jpg
DSCN0231_zpsb414497b.jpg
DSCN0233_zps2543fbdc.jpg
TRURKEY FEVER for an 11yr old who has never killed an animal! Froze and never could pull the trigger at 12yrds, what an awesome experience! We laughed and had a blast. I lost 2 decoy stakes TOO, the little ones broke them while they flogged them.rotflmao

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I had a great hunt this morning. We set up pre-dawn, waited a few minutes and a resident owl started making a racket. That spurred a roosted gobbler to light up. He gobbled on the roost for half hour or more, finally flying down with two other birds that never gobbled. He went to the bottom of a ravine, we called him back up the ridge. He strutted and gobbled for us for 30-45 minutes at 50 yards or so. Mason started getting uncomfortable and cold and wanted to try a shot. I told him no, and figured I had better get to work calling him the rest of the way in. I'd purr a bit and he would move just a few yards closer. This only went on a few times but I thought I could speed the thing up with a little more aggressive calling. Sure enough he folded up and walked right in. Mason got his gun up as the bird went behind a tree. When he popped out he knew something wasn't right and turned to leave while putting. I made a couple sharp cuts, the bird stretched his head up for a look and Mason splattered him! It was awesome, and again the boy amazed me with how he handles those pressured situations. He waited until the bird stopped and stretched the neck up before pulling the trigger! Mason's bird was 21lbs, 10" beard, spurs a shade over an inch.

Our friends that joined us yesterday morning got lucky today too! I sent them a text with Mason's pic, and they replied an hour later with Ike's.

We spent the rest of the day picking mushrooms and crappie fishing. Days like today don't come around often enough!

Attachments

• Concord-20130421-00728.jpg
    Concord-20130421-00728.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 96

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Mason and I had a great hunt this morning. We set up pre-dawn, waited a few minutes and a resident owl started making a racket. That spurred a roosted gobbler to light up. He gobbled on the roost for half hour or more, finally flying down with two other birds that never gobbled. He went to the bottom of a ravine, we called him back up the ridge. He strutted and gobbled for us for 30-45 minutes at 50 yards or so. Mason started getting uncomfortable and cold and wanted to try a shot. I told him no, and figured I had better get to work calling him the rest of the way in. I'd purr a bit and he would move just a few yards closer. This only went on a few times but I thought I could speed the thing up with a little more aggressive calling. Sure enough he folded up and walked right in. Mason got his gun up as the bird went behind a tree. When he popped out he knew something wasn't right and turned to leave while putting. I made a couple sharp cuts, the bird stretched his head up for a look and Mason splattered him! It was awesome, and again the boy amazed me with how he handles those pressured situations. He waited until the bird stopped and stretched the neck up before pulling the trigger! Mason's bird was 21lbs, 10" beard, spurs a shade over an inch.

Our friends that joined us yesterday morning got lucky today too! I sent them a text with Mason's pic, and they replied an hour later with Ike's.

We spent the rest of the day picking mushrooms and crappie fishing. Days like today don't come around often enough!

Thats awesome Brock and Mason.