Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Texas hogs

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Spent the weekend in the Texas panhandle with my kids on a hog hunt.

We hunted at night with suppressed 6.8s. We drove around looking at fields with night vision. They grow wheat, hay, cotton and peanuts in that area and most is irrigated with center pivots. The outfitters have 200,000 acres leased for hunting.

It was bitter cold, Close to zero, and windy. They had never experienced that cold and we had trouble finding the pigs but when we did they were in big herds, over 100 both nights. When we found them we’d park and walk in the pitch dark across the fields and get to about 100 yards.

I had never shot night vision before. Add cold, wind, unfamiliar rifles and my shooting wasn’t as good as I’d like it to be but I killed pigs both nights.
IMG_9595.jpeg
IMG_9594.jpeg
IMG_9596.jpeg
IMG_9592.jpeg
IMG_9572.jpeg

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Looks like y’all had a great time together! Congrats and glad to see they all made it, Sam…. 👍🏼
I drove, the kids flew. Flying was a cluster. For those that don't know my kids are Ben in San Diego, Tim in Seattle and Andrea in Chicago. Amarillo was the closest air port at 90 miles away and no one had direct flights. They all got there relatively ok but leaving was another story.

On Saturday Tim found out his Monday flight from Dallas to Seattle was already canceled ( Alaska Air 737 Max 9 grounding) and he was rebooked to Tuesday. Monday morning Tim and Andrea's flight out of Amarillo to Dallas was canceled and she absolutely had to be at work on Tuesday. She could get a Dallas-Chicago flight for Monday evening so she and Tim drove 300 miles to Dallas. Tim had rented a car at Amarillo but since he returned it to Dallas there was a $200 added charge. Ben's flight from Amarillo to Austin was delayed so he was going to miss his connecting flight at Austin, fortunately there was a later connecting flight. Ben's flight out of Amarillo was the only commercial flight out of there on Monday.

My drive home almost ended bad. Outside Springfield, Mo on I44 I was passing a semi going up a hill and it look like I was going to blow right past him, then we crested the hill and he sped up a bunch and and he got on the ass of a little car in front of him. Then he changed lanes to pass it and ran me off the road into the median. I was doing 75 but was able to keep off the guard rail and drive back on the pavement.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I drove, the kids flew. Flying was a cluster. For those that don't know my kids are Ben in San Diego, Tim in Seattle and Andrea in Chicago. Amarillo was the closest air port at 90 miles away and no one had direct flights. They all got there relatively ok but leaving was another story.

On Saturday Tim found out his Monday flight from Dallas to Seattle was already canceled ( Alaska Air 737 Max 9 grounding) and he was rebooked to Tuesday. Monday morning Tim and Andrea's flight out of Amarillo to Dallas was canceled and she absolutely had to be at work on Tuesday. She could get a Dallas-Chicago flight for Monday evening so she and Tim drove 300 miles to Dallas. Tim had rented a car at Amarillo but since he returned it to Dallas there was a $200 added charge. Ben's flight from Amarillo to Austin was delayed so he was going to miss his connecting flight at Austin, fortunately there was a later connecting flight. Ben's flight out of Amarillo was the only commercial flight out of there on Monday.

My drive home almost ended bad. Outside Springfield, Mo on I44 I was passing a semi going up a hill and it look like I was going to blow right past him, then we crested the hill and he sped up a bunch and and he got on the ass of a little car in front of him. Then he changed lanes to pass it and ran me off the road into the median. I was doing 75 but was able to keep off the guard rail and drive back on the pavement.

Damn glad you're OK bud and the defensive driving worked out. Looks like you had a blast.

Reactions: Ohiosam

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like a fun time (outside the temps and travel headaches.) Good to see you all met up to make the memories.

Reactions: Ohiosam