Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

That I Know.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Congratulations on shooting a nice buck and getting it to dump twice the blood of a normal deer!...check your fingers!

Some don't consider it a very ethical shot but there's a ton of very vital stuff running through that upper neck area. The spine, critical veins and arteries, and the larynx. To each their own. I'd never consider it from the side as there's nothing to gauge the exact location of the spine. But on a calm animal head-on with someone confident in their shooting ability, it's pretty deadly. You either miss completely, give them a survivable grazing wound, or they're dead almost immediately.

imagedeer (1).gif

Pictures don't show how much blood that actually was. It wasn't just a surface coating it was a sloppy muddy pool. One interesting thing was I was going to keep the heart for camp but when I pulled it out it was pretty mushy, like old bell pepper. Every heart I ever pulled from a deer was a hard dense muscle. The only thing I can figure is the heart just strained itself to mush trying to pump a rapidly falling blood pressure.

20211017_142714.jpg

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
All jokes aside, how much penetration did you get? From the pic with the arrow sticking out of him it looks to be 5-6 inches? Obviously more than enough to kill him DRT. I'm curious why no pass through...spine?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
All jokes aside, how much penetration did you get? From the pic with the arrow sticking out of him it looks to be 5-6 inches? Obviously more than enough to kill him DRT. I'm curious why no pass through...spine?
3” roughly. And it was buried in the spine. Took some persuasion too get it out. But it was intact. Albeit a little dinged up.

Reactions: Tipmoose