Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

That I Know.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah 3-4 inches cutting the carotid artery and buried in a cervical vertebra. If I didn't hit the spine and only the artery the blood trail would have been just as prolific for about 50 yards. Miss both and it's just a survivable flesh wound. The high up straight on neck shot is either dead or survivable by grazing or a miss.

I'm not a fan of frontal chest shots, too much meat to get through and the arrow has a tendency to slip down the outside of the chest cavity behind the shoulder instead of penetrating to vitals. Even when it reaches vitals it's usually only one lung.

A few years ago I shot a doe at strouds straight down under the stand. Rather than try to shoot down one side or the other of the chest cavity I shot her through the top of her head exiting just below the offside jaw. It's either a clean miss or dead. Similar results, prolific blood and dead where she stood.

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Congrats!

I see a Dexter cameo in your future.....
20211018_214337.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When I left strouds I had the bucks head in a garbage bag with the rack poking out the top. When I got home I set it by the back fence so it didn't stink up around the house. I went out there today to bury the skull and pulled it from the bag.

Well that's slightly disturbing. The beetles and flies had it completely clean in a week! 😳

A little hosing off, a light boil and a soak in some peroxide and it's ready to go.

20211029_091653.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
When I left strouds I had the bucks head in a garbage bag with the rack poking out the top. When I got home I set it by the back fence so it didn't stink up around the house. I went out there today to bury the skull and pulled it from the bag.

Well that's slightly disturbing. The beetles and flies had it completely clean in a week! 😳

A little hosing off, a light boil and a soak in some peroxide and it's ready to go.

View attachment 138752
That's awesome