Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

the accident is marked with blood spatters and feathers — lots of feathers ...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
June 23, 2011

Fire truck hits, kills 13 geese
By SHELLEY TERRY - sterry@starbeacon.com
Star Beacon The Star Beacon Thu Jun 23, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT

PLYMOUTH — The scene of the accident is marked with blood spatters and feathers — lots of feathers — strewn along the road where the victims were hit by a fire engine.

Thirteen adult Canada geese were killed, and one was injured severely, after they were run over by the truck in the 3800 block of Plymouth-Brown Road at about 6 a.m. Tuesday.

“The (Plymouth Fire Department’s) Engine Company was en route to a motor vehicle crash on Griggs Road,” said Fire Chief William Strubbe. “The geese were on the side of the road, and the driver put on the lights and sirens to scare them off the road, but instead, they went into the road. It’s an unfortunate situation.”

Mary Featsent, 3803 Plymouth-Brown Road, said it was horrible. Her neighbors agreed.

“We didn’t know what to do; there were feathers and blood and birds,” Featsent said. “People were driving to work and trying to drive around all these geese, some of them still flapping their wings.”

Featsent said only one goose managed to make its way into her front yard, but its wing and leg were visibly broken. To make matters worse, on the return trip from the call, the fire truck ran over the birds again, she said.

Strubbe said fire trucks are large and cannot swerve off the road.

“You cannot risk the life of firefighters to avoid geese,” he said.

Strubbe said the geese were moved to the side of the road by Township Trustee Kevin Presley within 30 minutes of the accident.

Plymouth Township road superintendent Mike Wayman said that Featsent’s husband called him, and he notified the county to go by and get the birds. Wayman said, “It was a freak thing.”

County road crews arrived about two hours later and hauled away the birds, Featsent said.

Featsent believes the firefighters should have removed the birds on the return trip, rather than running over them again.

“Two hours is too long to sit on the side of the road,” she said. “It was terrible for passers-by, especially children, to see.”

The injured Canada goose in her yard finally was put down by an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper, who covered the accident on Griggs Road, Featsent said. The trooper tried to find a rescue facility or animal sanctuary for the bird, but it was too badly injured, she said.

“They were so kind and professional,” she said. “I think they deserve a lot of credit for that.”

...(Looks like a new way to hunt "sky Carp" ... CJD3 :smiley_depressive:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
June 23, 2011

Fire truck hits, kills 13 geese

To make matters worse, on the return trip from the call, the fire truck ran over the birds again, she said.

Strubbe said fire trucks are large and cannot swerve off the road.

“You cannot risk the life of firefighters to avoid geese,” he said.

Featsent believes the firefighters should have removed the birds on the return trip, rather than running over them again.

“Two hours is too long to sit on the side of the road,” she said. “It was terrible for passers-by, especially children, to see.”

...(Looks like a new way to hunt "sky Carp" ... CJD3 :smiley_depressive:

If that lady was so worried about the firefighters running over the birds again then why didn't she or her husband move them out of the road lol.
Surprised she didn't yell because they hit the geese and continued on to the car accident and not helping the geese first lol.

I guess if they would have shot them like the state trooper did she would have been ok with it lmao.

Some people crack me up lol.

On another note :
I seen something like this happen about 10 years ago in morrow county on 95 just outside Mt. Gilead. I was following a diesel truck pulling a big horse trailer and it was dark. All I could see was dark shapes bouncing off the trailer and feathers flying everywhere. I slowed down and got a little closer and seen it was 4-5 geese that had been splattered. I had to laugh a little and kept on going lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Frankly, my first reaction was to laugh...
I know its sad from the one point but some people just make you forget the compassion with their reactions. She would be the type to swerve to avoid hitting a raccoon on the road and kill 4 people in the other lane.

Would love to see the trooper break out the 12 gage for that one.:smiley_crocodile:

" Ummm. Er. aaa PULL!!!"

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
To make matters worse, on the return trip from the call, the fire truck ran over the birds again, she said.

lmao lmao lmao.

I can soooooooo see the fireman on the return trip saying "Fugg yo geese nigga! I said Fugg yo Geese.."

[video=youtube;JcJkhSUSnek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJkhSUSnek[/video]

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frankly, my first reaction was to laugh...
I know its sad from the one point but some people just make you forget the compassion with their reactions. She would be the type to swerve to avoid hitting a raccoon on the road and kill 4 people in the other lane.

Would love to see the trooper break out the 12 gage for that one.:smiley_crocodile:

" Ummm. Er. aaa PULL!!!"
I agree! I can't stand the things anymore! Back in the 70's early 80's they weren't so overly populated and I liked seeing the occasional vee formations flying over head but NOW they're just a nuisance!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Dear Mary Featsent,

Please stop watching Disney movies. Furthermore, you and your neighbors should probably thank the Fire Department. This clearly sounds like a flock of suicide bomber Canada geese that quietly infiltrated your neighborhood without you realizing it. It's widely known that Canada is a terrorist hot bed, with sleep cell organizations living right under the Canadian Mountie's noses. Obviously these geese have ties to Alqueda and tried to take out your entire fire department while they were en route to an accident. If you listened clearly, rather than the normal honka, honka, honka call that most Canada geese produce, these Alquda geese have distinguished their call to sound much more like Allah Ackbar, Allah Ackbar. The difference is subtle yet discernable. Thankfully though, fire trucks are big, and the terrorists were defeated. Remember this when you're celebrating our great nation's Independence Day in a few week. If they had a small fire truck this would have ended much differently, and flock would have likely turned on you and your neighbors next. And that Mary, would have been horrible. I'm sure you and your neighbors can agree on that. God Bless. Good night.

To reiterate what Fire Cheif Strubbe said, "fire trucks are large and cannot swerve off the road."

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Dear Mary Featsent,

Please stop watching Disney movies. Furthermore, you and your neighbors should probably thank the Fire Department. This clearly sounds like a flock of suicide bomber Canada geese that quietly infiltrated your neighborhood without you realizing it. It's widely known that Canada is a terrorist hot bed, with sleep cell organizations living right under the Canadian Mountie's noses. Obviously these geese have ties to Alqueda and tried to take out your entire fire department while they were en route to an accident. If you listened clearly, rather than the normal honka, honka, honka call that most Canada geese produce, these Alquda geese have distinguished their call to sound much more like Allah Ackbar, Allah Ackbar. The difference is subtle yet discernable. Thankfully though, fire trucks are big, and the terrorists were defeated. Remember this when you're celebrating our great nation's Independence Day in a few week. If they had a small fire truck this would have ended much differently, and flock would have likely turned on you and your neighbors next. And that Mary, would have been horrible. I'm sure you and your neighbors can agree on that. God Bless. Good night.

To reiterate what Fire Cheif Strubbe said, "fire trucks are large and cannot swerve off the road."

Freaking great response!! :smiley_clap:

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Dear Mary Featsent,

Rummor has it they had bombs strapped to their chest as well.