Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Book Thread

Isaacorps

Columbus
I’m currently about 2/3 of the way through this one... Empire of the Summer Moon. It is excellent so far. Both fascinating and utterly disturbing at the same time. Comanche Indians were some of the most wicked, cruel, and savage native Americans on the continent. I highly recommend this book to anyone who gets their rocks off on some history, especially pre-civil war history.

View attachment 123329
This I could get into, right up my interest alley. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: jagermeister
Fitting...........

1616519743730.png

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just Finished - "Growing A Revolution"

Great book. There were parts that I felt were a bit of "fluff" but overall I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the interviews with various farmers, soil scientists, and even farmers from other countries. I further enjoyed the history lessons that were covered and some of the scientific data also reviewed. All in all, I think I would suggest reading this book first, before reading Gabe Brown's Dirt to Soil.
518IP0RVs5L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is a powerful read, especially in the winter when the conditions are relatable. It's a harrowing tale of some tough MF'ers that suffered some unimaginable hardships in the name of adventure and the United States. I highly recommend it.

20220131_202625.jpg

Isaacorps

Columbus
1647184015621.jpeg

A really eye opening look at how and why we got where we are with the opioid epidemic, specifically in Appalachia. It’s set largely in Portsmouth and does a good job chronicling the socioeconomic factors that led to the its downfall and the rise of widespread opioid addiction. Tragic and fascinating

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
View attachment 147882
A really eye opening look at how and why we got where we are with the opioid epidemic, specifically in Appalachia. It’s set largely in Portsmouth and does a good job chronicling the socioeconomic factors that led to the its downfall and the rise of widespread opioid addiction. Tragic and fascinating
Issac, how much does it hit on big pharmas hand in it?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
View attachment 147882
I distinctly remember reading an article in one of the news magazines back in the late 80s or early 90s how doctors needed to be more aggressive in treating pain. Not sure exactly why but the article stuck with me.

From what I know now those articles were written by shills for pharmaceutical companies. A way to get patients to pressure doctors for more meds.

Thankfully we've moved past that and now we can trust what we read about pharmaceuticals...

• Haha
Reactions: Isaacorps and giles

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Isn’t that the story of the bear hunt?
There are two books. The Old Man and the Boy and The Old Man's Boy Grows Older. Which bear hunt are you talking about?

The first is a story about a boy growing up in rural NC and learning about the outdoors from his grandpa.
The second is about that boy growing older and reminiscing about the lessons the Old Man told him as they applied to his own life as he grew older.