Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Book Thread

Left field

The story on how the following book came to my attention a long time ago.

During the 90’s, I was a corporate ‘Regional Technical Manager’ for one of the largest international healthcare businesses of the world (a fortune 100 organization).

A few of my responsibilities at the time included, but never limited to any single one exclusively was;
  • Daily Information Technology Operations,
  • System Implementations,
  • Security Integrity,
  • Service & Product Contracts,
  • Regulatory Audits,
  • Client & Corporate Reports,
  • Client & Corporate Tours,
  • Project Presentations,
  • Budgets for Information Technology, Facilities and Security
  • Hiring staff, training, etc, etc, etc,,
for thirteen state-of-art automated facilities strategically located throughout the United States that serviced over a million customers per week.

Each location included a ‘Management Information Service Manager’, ‘Facility Manager’ and ‘Security Manager’ that reported to me directly. Each manager would have a supporting staff of approximately 10-20 personnel depending on facility size and the number of in-house employees.

The largest facility of operations with approximately 2,200 in-house employees that serviced roughly 300 thousand customers per week went on strike in the middle of a contract negotiation (a work stoppage was declared).

I was quickly tasked by corporate senior management at the time to do whatever I needed to do to ensure that customers were not impacted negatively by the work stoppage and I quote, "You have an unlimited money budget”, per the president of the organization at that time.

The following 120 days, I was the head logistics coordinator of operations in charge.

One of the first things that I did, I hired a top-notch corporate security team out of the northwest region of the country.

A 40-member security team comprised of former military, police, S.W.A.T., federal marshals and security guards on & offsite 24/7 until further notice.

Each security team member was managed and directed by a former USAF Staff Sergeant - Bryan Stockdale, who did several secret military tours before and during the Vietnam War, which I didn’t know at the time of hire.

My work team/staff was successful managing the organization’s longest work stoppage ever in history with no significant issue of any kind and/or loss of service to customers and clients.

Bryan and his crew of professionals was key in protecting not only the facility, but several employees and their family’s around the clock until the work stoppage was completely over with four months later.

Sure, I received death threats at the time, along with others within the organization, however I, my staff, or family members was ever confronted with any hostile and/or physical threat during the entire strike.

When it came time for Bryan and his crew to pack up and head home, surprisingly, he gave me his business card that had all of his contact information along with a book that he helped co-wrote called,

‘SOG’ – The Secret Wars of America’s Commandos in Vietnam.
View attachment 108889

He wrote a very kind message within the book.

View attachment 108890

When I contracted the outside corporate security team initially, I really didn’t have a full understanding of Bryan’s complete background at the time other than I knew it was military in nature. It wasn’t until months later when I got around to reading his book that I truly understood and appreciated his expertise, knowledge and professionalism.

I felt honored and privileged to have worked with him and his crew after the fact.

It was an experience that I will never forget!

View attachment 108891

So I’d recommend the book to anyone who’s interested in some of our country’s military missions just prior to the Vietnam War and throughout.

View attachment 108892

P.S. – Full disclosure: Additional reason why I am suggesting the SOG book.

I just started reading a newly published book which reminded me of the SOG book. The new book is tough read and hard to image in these current times. I will debate whether it is worthy to share in the near future.
I’m a bit of sniper geek he wrote Ultimate Sniper , an excellent book you can apply to hunting game animals also

Reactions: Wildlife

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Book #2 for the year, Never Finished. If there is anybody to write about mindset it’s David Goggins. The man is an absolute BEAST (read Can’t Hurt Me first) but he’s open and honest about his failures too.

That’s the overarching takeaway… we all fail. It’s part of the process. It’s what you learn through those failures and how you utilize failure to push you forward that matters. It’s what makes you better equipped to succeed in all aspects of life.
3FCEEEDF-6A6A-406E-828D-D31ADFCFF37E.jpeg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
000E83EC-0749-4C43-BA2B-2A624B77F9B6.jpeg

Another book down on the year.

This book is a little dry - but still fascinating. Really makes a guy think about inputs and the chemical and biological foundation of our soils vs. just visual growth. If you like growing stuff - I’d recommend.

Reactions: 5Cent

Left field

I finally finished this epic after slowly absorbing it over the past few months. No need for a lengthy review as many of you have read it but I’ll just say it did not disappoint. This along with The Pioneers by McCullough are absolute masterpieces of Ohio/NW territory history IMO.
View attachment 175588
I believe he wrote that as a 6-7 part series , when I start I will be on #4

Reactions: Isaacorps

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I finally finished this epic after slowly absorbing it over the past few months. No need for a lengthy review as many of you have read it but I’ll just say it did not disappoint. This along with The Pioneers by McCullough are absolute masterpieces of Ohio/NW territory history IMO.
View attachment 175588
One of the greatest books! I read it years ago and think about it weekly, just goes to show how great of a book it truly was!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
C227815C-BEED-4B4F-9201-39D287B09D0E.png

Great book! Really enjoyed reading this one and learned a lot.

As much as I feel I comprehend, every book I read allows me to further realize how much there is to learn.

If you like to garden, foodplot, farm, etc. this is a great read!

Reactions: Isaacorps

at1010

*Supporting Member*
IMG_2240.png

I recently finished this book. Fantastic!!

As most who know me, know my grandpap was a coal miner. Not only grandpa but his dad, brothers, and the like - all went underground to get a paycheck for a luxury which they didn’t enjoy the benefits for decades later in those small Appalachian hollers.

I recall gmy grandma telling stories of how her education was significantly better (2 towns over) than the remote holler grandpap was from - this was so similar to this book. The terrain and segmentation due to such, created wide variability in available education.

This book is well worth the read if you have roots or interests in rural America - specifically Appalachia.

Nothing in that region has ever come easy. Always has been earned and never has been helped by big govt.

The Appalachian spirit is one that is relentless and one I always will admire.

I couldn’t be more proud of my roots. Thanks grandma and grandpap!!

@bowhunter1023 - you’d enjoy I think.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Just finished listening to my first book of 2024 and it's one of the best I've read/ listened to in a LONG time.

It really spoke to me but one of my mottos for my kids is that we experience amazing things when we get comfortable being uncomfortable. It translates into athletics and our experiences in the outdoors really well imo.

My complaint is the book relies a lot on correlation and its relationship to causation. But i think the preponderance of the evidence helps.

It isn't just about one aspect of life but many of the ways (potentially negative) our modern lifestyle and choices have impacted us and how it was different not only from our earliest hunter/gatherer relatives but also from only a hundred or so years ago. I strongly suggest reading it.
Screenshot_20240105_083424_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Isaacorps

Columbus
I ended up reading 17 books last year, mostly fiction. My favorite nonfiction was The Wright Brothers by McCullough. It’s another must read for anyone interested in Ohio history. They certainly aren’t making men like that anymore. Currently reading The Great Bridge by McCullough, so far it hasn’t disappointed.