Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Butchering Thread

Buckmaster

Portage
I took the Coppa out of 2 pork butts and the other 2 are tenderloin. EQ salt cure with a pinch of #2. They are hanging from the rafters in the basement for 100 days. I put 2 more tenderloins in cure this morning. I’m awaiting my local butcher’s next hog arrival and he’s supposed to get me 2 more Coppa. I have some beef bung to stuff that batch into.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I took the Coppa out of 2 pork butts and the other 2 are tenderloin. EQ salt cure with a pinch of #2. They are hanging from the rafters in the basement for 100 days. I put 2 more tenderloins in cure this morning. I’m awaiting my local butcher’s next hog arrival and he’s supposed to get me 2 more Coppa. I have some beef bung to stuff that batch into.
Tenderloin is technically Filetto when cured, lonza or lonzina for the back loin with and without the fat cap.
Sounds good, you can also use the bladder for larger cuts or just not use all of it. Fiocco and culatello are the normal choices. You could also ask for the lining of the peritoneum when scraped clean is what I have used for Coppa in the past.

Buckmaster

Portage
2F26D638-DAB1-44D5-9B59-9070F96F4974.jpeg

Buckmaster

Portage
Tenderloin is technically Filetto when cured, lonza or lonzina for the back loin with and without the fat cap.
Sounds good, you can also use the bladder for larger cuts or just not use all of it. Fiocco and culatello are the normal choices. You could also ask for the lining of the peritoneum when scraped clean is what I have used for Coppa in the past.
Perhaps next year I’ll be saving some of those deer parts…stomach, bladder, I’ll buy intestines 😉. I play with more deer than pigs.

Blan37

SW Ohio
The Pancetta went up to the basement rafter for the next 6 months or so; meanwhile the Venison Biltong is moving into my belly.

last time I tried curing pancetta for an extended period I ended up with all different kinds of mold. Orange, green, black and fuzzy white. didnt Think it was safe to eat it. Since then I’ve only ever let it cure for a week or so on the counter. do you do anything in particular to keep the bad mold away?

Buckmaster

Portage
You can buy the good mold spores and spray apply them. They should keep out the bad. I try to maintain the white mold while removing the the other colors with vinegar water and a paper towel. A labor of meat love.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Blan37

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
last time I tried curing pancetta for an extended period I ended up with all different kinds of mold. Orange, green, black and fuzzy white. didnt Think it was safe to eat it. Since then I’ve only ever let it cure for a week or so on the counter. do you do anything in particular to keep the bad mold away?
What Buckmaster said and the conditions you dry age/cure it at influence it.

Reactions: Blan37

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Helped a buddy butcher this hog on Saturday.

For curing:
2 Coppa
2 belly for bacon
1 prosciutto ham
1 culatello
1 fiocco
1 portion of loin for Canadian bacon
1 extra portion of belly for pancetta
A few pieces of back fat for lardo
I took another muscle from the ham to make similar to culatello

Fresh cuts
69# ground to be made into either ground pork or a simple salt and pepper breakfast sausage

10 1.5-2" thick pork chops

Also making
lard
cracklins and leaf lard rendered separately
liverwurst
goetta or scrapple
20230121_105101.jpg
20230121_105104.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Helped a buddy butcher this hog on Saturday.

For curing:
2 Coppa
2 belly for bacon
1 prosciutto ham
1 culatello
1 fiocco
1 portion of loin for Canadian bacon
1 extra portion of belly for pancetta
A few pieces of back fat for lardo
I took another muscle from the ham to make similar to culatello

Fresh cuts
69# ground to be made into either ground pork or a simple salt and pepper breakfast sausage

10 1.5-2" thick pork chops

Also making
lard
cracklins and leaf lard rendered separately
liverwurst
goetta or scrapple
View attachment 171627View attachment 171628
Nice workshop! Like the rough cut walls…