Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Cigar Thread

Huckleberry Finn

Never, I mean never light a good cigar with a match. The sulfer will negatively effect the flavor. If you must use a match, use it to light the cedar wrapper if the cigar comes with one

Any other etiquette to learn? Didn't know those two...

matt hougan

Dayton area
There is actually alot of science to the enjoyment of good cigars.
Ever see a cigar with what looks to be mold on it? Its called "bloom" and is actually the oils in the leaf effervescing. Perfectly fine cigar.
Using a cigar cutter of one design or another will decrease the chances your cigar unravel itself as you smoke. You see people on tv biting the end off a cigar. You try that and let me know how it goes. If you dont have a cutter simple peel off the cap leaf off the end of the cigar. I often times use my front teeth to tear a small hole in the cap.
While smoking make sure you roll the cigar in you mouth frequently. As you draw you can draw the amber to one aide or another. Rolling the cigar helps ensure a nice even burn.
Cigars must be kept at the right humidity. Dry cigars will come apart as you smoke as well as burn way too fast. Wet cigars will "tunnel" which means burn down the center only.....not fun.
When lighting a cigar, make sure you light the entire end. Ligthing only half or part of the cigar will result in an uneven burn and oerhaps tunneling. Tunneling sucks!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As a former cigarette smoker, cigars were never my thing, except when drinking around my wife who hates cigarettes, but tolerates cigars. My taste for them is like my taste of beer, never had one I didn't like (except IPAs). I went to a cigar bar with an aficionado in Florida this summer while on a business trip. He introduced me to Cohiba Blues and I really enjoyed it, especially with a V-cut, which was a new approach for me. Picked up this Cohiba Red Dot at the Kroger liquor store yesterday and it's pretty enjoyable. I'm ready to get an entry level humidor and a box of Blues for camping trips. Any cigar guys lurking out there?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Currently my go too…
16D8DA55-BFEC-4DE2-9BC9-71E9CFEBF76C.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just placed an order through Cigars International thanks to @Hedgelj hitting me up on Facebook a couple weeks back. I'll post up what I receive, but took some advice from this thread for sure!
Jesse, these are some brands my BIL highly recommend for you to try:

Alec Bradley prensado
Oliva V series
Padron 1926. Excellent but $$$
Davidoff Nicaragua 👍🏻👍🏻
AVO XO
San cristobal elegancia

Reactions: bowhunter1023

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What’d you find in then humidor hunt?
I know the question wasn’t directed at me but here’s what my BIL also texted me on the humidor question…..

I have a glass top 50 I bought off of Amazon. Nothing special, like $100. I use the Bovita humidity packs....

Gotta keep those expensive sticks fresh 😁

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Just placed an order through Cigars International thanks to @Hedgelj hitting me up on Facebook a couple weeks back. I'll post up what I receive, but took some advice from this thread for sure!
I used them exclusively when i was deployed and since. Depending on what you like i can give you some suggestions.
Mason jar and a damp sponge for now. Haven't ordered one yet.
I have a pelican case large enough for a pistol or two, boveda packs are on their 4th year in there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My package arrived yesterday. Went with some smaller Cohibas to avoid waste, and bought the Romeo y Julieta 1875 Churchills that @MoonLab recommend. Ordered this humidor off Amazon since it was well-reviewed and economical. Probably wait a few more days post-Rona before I enjoy any and will save the 1875s for a night I have a good fire going and the bourbon is flowing.

20220109_172149.jpg

Mantello Royal Glass-Top Cigar Humidor - Desktop Humidifier Storage Box for 25-50 Cigars With Hygrometer & Divider - Handcrafted Rosewood Finish - Cedar Wood Case for Moisture Control - Gift for Men https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009Y8F...abc_A97ZWZQA4M4NRNDEWHR5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cogz

Cogz
TX
My package arrived yesterday. Went with some smaller Cohibas to avoid waste, and bought the Romeo y Julieta 1875 Churchills that @MoonLab recommend. Ordered this humidor off Amazon since it was well-reviewed and economical. Probably wait a few more days post-Rona before I enjoy any and will save the 1875s for a night I have a good fire going and the bourbon is flowing.

View attachment 143630

Mantello Royal Glass-Top Cigar Humidor - Desktop Humidifier Storage Box for 25-50 Cigars With Hygrometer & Divider - Handcrafted Rosewood Finish - Cedar Wood Case for Moisture Control - Gift for Men https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009Y8F...abc_A97ZWZQA4M4NRNDEWHR5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Solid choices right there!