Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Farm w/ No Name - Habitat Projects

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Absolutely beautiful Jesse. Look forward to seeing the fall splend in full growth. Why not plant the entire bottom? We talked about doing corn, I got the single walk behind planter lol.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Absolutely beautiful Jesse. Look forward to seeing the fall splend in full growth. Why not plant the entire bottom? We talked about doing corn, I got the single walk behind planter lol.
A couple of issues with planting the whole thing. The last 75 yards on the west end is a bog and lays so wet, you can't work it or grow anything. The other 75 yards between the bog and the plot, is super thick and holding deer, while serving as a travel corridor from the sanctuary to the south, to the food on the north ridge. The south side of the holler between the sanctuary and the main creek crossing, has several massive trees shading it out and until I remedy that, it's probably a waste of seed. What I've carved out maximizes the good growing ground and balances cover with food. I'll have 3 acres of plots on 80 acres, but we have shit tons of browse, good hard mast, and corn to the north, and beans to the south. Hell, just our pasture ground is 9 acres of clover with a mile of fence row ripe with honeysuckle and other edible delights. The farm is really hitting it's stride right now!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Rolled by the Corner Pocket today and took a little off the top. The terribly well-timed rains have prevented proper herbicide application this year, but it looks about as good as it ever has. Now that I can mow and spray regularly, it should hit it's stride next year.

82186e68-60dd-43a2-b9f7-dc37551fca95.jpg
20220703_172355.jpg
20220703_173404.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Things went about as smoothly as I could have hoped for on this one. After 17 years of wanting to put corn or beans here, I broadcast eagle soybeans this morning. I mowed off the rye from last year's plot on Memorial Day, then sprayed it on Father's Day, and tilled/planted on the 4th just as I'd hoped. If the beans do well, great. If they struggle, I'll broadcast a fall blend into them in August. Super pleased with the seed bed and the depth the seeds were buried after dragging. Time to pray for rain and hope for the best!

20220606_142648.jpg
20220619_141051.jpg
20220704_102922.jpg
20220704_131642.jpg
20220704_140410.jpg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
How many acres of beans did you plant? I have never had any luck with beans but I was only planting 1/2 acre. They sprouted great but the deer would not let them grow.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, in my experience, a 1/2 acre of Eagle beans normally won’t amount to much if the deer density is average or better. I hope your plot can prove me wrong Jesse! Might want to start brainstorming exclusion methods and ideas now…

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I fully expect to overseed and will be shocked if that's not on the agenda in 6 weeks. I lucked into perfect timing and we've had a bunch of rain in the last 24 hours, so they got a good seed bed and plenty of water to get them started. I told dad if 50% of the plot is viable by September 1, I'd consider it a success. It's probably a good thing only does use our farm in the summer!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes, in my experience, a 1/2 acre of Eagle beans normally won’t amount to much if the deer density is average or better. I hope your plot can prove me wrong Jesse! Might want to start brainstorming exclusion methods and ideas now…
I have all the fencing at the farm leftover from our rotational grazing days. What I lack is the gumption or give-a-fuck to drive t-posts and string fence 😂

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have all the fencing at the farm leftover from our rotational grazing days. What I lack is the gumption or give-a-fuck to drive t-posts and string fence 😂
Ha! Fair enough. At least you’re honest!

Installing fencing would be a real dick dragger. I probably wouldn’t mess with it either. There are a handful of water soluble repellents available on the market though… Pretty easy to use. You should try one, then give us an honest review, so I know what to spray or what not to spray to keep the deer off all my new tree seedlings! 😅

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Use the tractors bucket to drive them in…just need someone to hold it until you get it started. I put in 60 of them this spring and it was way easier than doing it with a post driver.