Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Future of Hunting in Ohio

If you could make one change to Ohio deer hunting regualtions ,what would it be?

• Ban baiting.

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Modify camera use. (E.g. No cell cams in season, No cams on public, etc.)

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Change season dates. (E.g. Reduce opportunity, Alter NR guidelines, etc.)

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Modify crossbow use. (E.g. Special season, Medical/Age restrictions, etc.)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Attempt to discourage leasing. (E.g. New fees, New access programs, combined with season changes, et

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Ban baiting, cameras, crossbows, guns and make people hunt in loin clothes using sharp sticks.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other, and I'll share my recommendation in this thread.

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

LonewolfNopack

The woods
My best outdoor memories aren't of deer or turkey. They are running a trap line. I trapped long before becoming a hunter, and it definitely made me a better outdoorsman because of it. I feel like if more people were introduced, we wouldn't have a coon problem. Trapping is truely an enjoyable outdoor activity that has all but been forgotten by this generation of outdoorsmen. Many avid trappers have aged out or died. Of course the fur market contributes to this as well. One thing I can say for sure, if coons grew antlers there wouldn't be an overpopulation problem. At least not on accessible properties. They may not grow antlers, but as recent as 10 years ago they were growing $20 bills. Sadly that value is now much less, but the tradition of catching and processing fur to market is still as enjoyable.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My best outdoor memories aren't of deer or turkey. They are running a trap line. I trapped long before becoming a hunter, and it definitely made me a better outdoorsman because of it. I feel like if more people were introduced, we wouldn't have a coon problem. Trapping is truely an enjoyable outdoor activity that has all but been forgotten by this generation of outdoorsmen. Many avid trappers have aged out or died. Of course the fur market contributes to this as well. One thing I can say for sure, if coons grew antlers there wouldn't be an overpopulation problem. At least not on accessible properties. They may not grow antlers, but as recent as 10 years ago they were growing $20 bills. Sadly that value is now much less, but the tradition of catching and processing fur to market is still as enjoyable.
One of my coon hunting buddies is frothing at the mouth to start shooting. Spoke to him just yesterday and he said the buyers he knows are not buying this year. That will not keep us from shooting them on our property.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
One of my coon hunting buddies is frothing at the mouth to start shooting. Spoke to him just yesterday and he said the buyers he knows are not buying this year. That will not keep us from shooting them on our property.
I use to sell to local buyers, but they disappeared with the fur market or died. The best thing to do now is ship them to the fur auctions, where they continue to market the pelts until sold. Usually get better prices this way too. I have no clue what the price of a coon is this year. I'm sure it's abysmal at best.

Reactions: GoetsTalon