Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Power of Apples (lots of pics)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was able to gain some extremely valuable recon this past week or so. The neighbor, who owns about 80 acres of refuge, gave me permission to place my trail camera anywhere I wanted on his property. So naturally, I went to an opening near a pine thicket bedding area, which just so happened to have an apple tree just pouring apples to the ground. :) After this past week, I've confirmed there are at least four 10+ pointers in the area... one is pushing 140" and another is 150" or more IMO. In total, there are about 10 different bucks running around this property and the property that I hunt. Here are some of the pics:

A beast of a 1.5 yr old (maybe 2.5 yr old)... notice the long brow tines.

continued...

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is a 10 pt that I am calling Lobster. The tip of his left main beam and g4 come close together, kind of resembling a lobster claw. Even with the weak g2's, I think this deer is pushing 140'' this year.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
You don't have to convince me of the power of apples! Great daylight pics, nothing like getting a variety of bucks on the cams right before the season!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You have found deer heaven my friend. Nice pictures Jim. Looks like you outta be able to get in there opening weekend and get 'er done! Good luck buddy, break that Elite in right!

Buckmaster

Portage
One of my properties is an old apple orchard. As soon as an apple or pear hit the ground the deer come running up to it. They actually sit and wait for them to fall off the tree. If I had some glue I'd re-hang all the apples and pears for 3 more weeks so I can hunt under them.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
One of my properties is an old apple orchard. As soon as an apple or pear hit the ground the deer come running up to it. They actually sit and wait for them to fall off the tree. If I had some glue I'd re-hang all the apples and pears for 3 more weeks so I can hunt under them.

I can't remember how you feel about baiting, but if you have no issues with it here is an idea. Stack the deck in your favor by keeping apples there. Use it as a baited site. If the deer wait as you say, walk/ride into the spot with someone else making plenty of noise as you do it. Have your buddy make a production of dumping apples as you sneak into your stand. Have your buddy stumble fugg his way out so the deer know he is leaving. Give it an hour and the deer should be moving in. We have tried this a few times behind the house but have yet to kill one using this. But after running the BEC for almost two years I see how quick the deer key in on the quad and the sound of bait being dumped. Sometimes they are there in 20 minutes. They figure out the program. Just something to think about.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good idea Swantucky!

Great pictures Jbrown! I didn't check out each body to try to age them, but many of those did not look like they were that old! Most seemed 1.5-2.5 with maybe a couple 3.5? I didn't look too close, but either they are some skinny deer or young'ins. Best of luck! Gotta feel good just before the season!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good idea Swantucky!

Great pictures Jbrown! I didn't check out each body to try to age them, but many of those did not look like they were that old! Most seemed 1.5-2.5 with maybe a couple 3.5? I didn't look too close, but either they are some skinny deer or young'ins. Best of luck! Gotta feel good just before the season!

That's what excites me the most about all of these pictures. These are all deer that have the potential to be shooters next year, so my future deer hunting should be pretty good. Even though I cannot hunt the property that this apple tree is sitting on, it's only about 40 yds from the property line and these deer are all killable at some point. My food plots are on the opposite side of my property from this apple tree... so I should have plenty of opportunities to intercept. They bed very close to the apple tree, but have to travel about 5 or 600 yds to get to my food plots. I can't wait to see what kind of video footage I get next time I go back down there.

Ray

Swantucky's scenario works .....

I have killed a deer within the last three season by baiting the stand, going back to the truck, grabbing my bow and climbing into the stand. Then boom, 30 minutes later, deer are on the bait ... It works. A lot of times they will bed not far from their favorite food sources, especially when the weather gets colder. It usually becomes a race to the food in the late season. . . .

Mao

Coshocton, OH
i think i may have found an apple orchard to hunt as well..my dad works with a guy that says he has a small orchard and sees deer in there most of the time. he lives close to a busy road and said deer are hit right there all the time..if all goes well with dad getting permission, we will get a cam or two out there this weekend..