Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Story of Marlin and the Levergun

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I will add that story to my library. Thanks Dan
I have started a file on every gun I have so someday, the kids or who-ever will have a little history book that goes with the gun. I wondered if there was a reason they put "Marlin Safety" on the top of my 38-55 like that. And now I know... The rest of the story.

FredT

SE Ohio
I too am a big Marlin fan. I own at least 14 of them that I can think of. Unfortunately the group that owns Remington bought out Marlin. Since the buy out they have been producing some really ratty guns. In fact all production has ceased until the first of the year so that Remington/Marlin can get their manufacturing act (Q/A) together. I hope that they are capable of doing that.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Fred, if they don't get their act together it will be a sad thing.
And then the old Marlins will become all the more valuable.
But let's keep our fingers crossed that the leadership there has a commitment to quality and loyal Marlin customers and brings it around.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
No matter what they do, it will never be as valuable as the older ones. (IMO) Its hard to beat the sound of a 100 year old lever gun when you work the action. Today guns just don't have that "tone"
Same with old pump shot guns. They just have a different sound or tone to them when you cycle em. I guessing its the make-up of the metal and the craftsmanship.