Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Swamp Blind.

Floki

Staying out of it since I don't have good intel. The last thing I want is to have a stud hitting it 30 minutes after dark and him catch me leaving.

Cool cool.. Curious tho with trails like that how long is a 100lbs if corn lasting ya?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool cool.. Curious tho with trails like that how long is a 100lbs if corn lasting ya?

I set this pile last Friday and it was about 75lbs. First time it's ever been there. On a new site that would usually last a couple weeks. I bet they'll start going through 200lbs a week by the end of the month and burn through a half ton by end of season.

Reactions: Floki and Sgt Fury

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m starting to get the corn pile bug. Chumming the hole in late season makes for an awful lot of fun wildlife viewing, even if you are not trying to kill something. I can’t wait to do a little of it. Heck of a fun way to squirrel hunt to. Lol.
Good luck, hope it gets cold for you soon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’m starting to get the corn pile bug. Chumming the hole in late season makes for an awful lot of fun wildlife viewing, even if you are not trying to kill something. I can’t wait to do a little of it. Heck of a fun way to squirrel hunt to. Lol.
Good luck, hope it gets cold for you soon.

Absolutely. A few years ago Jessica and I were sitting in a blind and she told me a giant bird was coming. I couldn't see it yet. I said it was a turkey and asked her to look for a beard. Noooo. It's not a turkey she said. After a few minutes of me guessing a cock pheasant walked up and started eating. Lol. Never know what you'll see at the pile.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
With trails like that I would struggle not hunting it tomorrow. Some of my best intel comes from the stand. Cameras only tell part of the story. Plus, I enjoy being out there.

If there's one there now he'll be there later. Can't risk going in blind without any intel. It's been rather warm and this weekend will be no exception. We need more cold weather before you'll catch a big fella slipping up at a bait pile with a giant blind 25 yards away. In my mind corn pile hunting is more of a targeted assassination than waiting around and hoping something happens.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If there's one there now he'll be there later. Can't risk going in blind without any intel. It's been rather warm and this weekend will be no exception. We need more cold weather before you'll catch a big fella slipping up at a bait pile with a giant blind 25 yards away. In my mind corn pile hunting is more of a targeted assassination than waiting around and hoping something happens.

That is a game I haven't played. I'll trust your instincts and experience here. Good luck whenever the timing is right.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The end of week 2 and no shooters yet. New bucks are showing up daily but they're pretty young. This beefy fella showed up but he'll never amount to anything even if he stops busting his crap off. Lol. They're going through about 100lbs a week now.

Gonna open up two more fishing homes tomorrow in different areas.

11.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Been getting any new bucks on camera?

Between work, the house and travel I haven't had time to keep up with the bait. The last 75lbs I dropped I watched 10 coons eat it all in 4 days. Need to thin them out for it to be worth it and just haven't had the time.

Reactions: Sgt Fury