Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The yote are back

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They have been staying hiden pretty good so far. i checked the cam and found one has showed up on it now :(. Then I walked back out to the road and found some nice tracks on the newly paved road.

Can't wait to cross paths with them here soon.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Guns are great to kill a few, snares are the best way to even try and control them.

I might just have to hook up with some trapper/s and have them teach me the tricks of the trade. Snares and leg hold traps are not in my arsenal as of yet. I just know they are growing more bold and gaining in numbers around here and I do not like it one bit.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have yet another winner on the cam. This one looks a little smaller then the last. I figure it is either a female or it is a pup from this past springs litter. Fuggers are going to die come February.

Red Cloud,
Good luck to you, with your endevours in killing coyotes.

I heard 2 or 3 yipping and barking as I was leaving the woods, yesterday evening.

As soon as I fill this doe tag, I'm switching gears and will be giving the coyotes a run for their money. I purchased a new coyote rifle that's humming with anticipation to kill something. Can't wait to touch off the first shot out of my Stevens .25-06 towards a coyote...just to see it carve a canoe out of him. :smiley_asswhip:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Red Cloud,
Good luck to you, with your endevours in killing coyotes.

I heard 2 or 3 yipping and barking as I was leaving the woods, yesterday evening.

As soon as I fill this doe tag, I'm switching gears and will be giving the coyotes a run for their money. I purchased a new coyote rifle that's humming with anticipation to kill something. Can't wait to touch off the first shot out of my Stevens .25-06 towards a coyote...just to see it carve a canoe out of him. :smiley_asswhip:

Thanks BH57 :D.

I plan on getting after them after deer season or after I tag out. I seen one go across the cut bean field a couple weeks ago while I was sitting in my tree stand.

Great minds think alike :D. My Stevens .223 will be barking at a few. Soul reason for purchasing that gun lol.

RedCloud said:
My Stevens .223 will be barking at a few. Soul reason for purchasing that gun lol.
RedCloud,
You may already know this, but be sure to use heavy bullets for coyotes. Something in a 55gr. or heavier will do the trick. :cool:

I made the mistake of using box ammo with 45gr. JHP bullets, which are very accurate, but lacked the knock down power. I've had a lot of "runners" with my AR and found some, but lost some too. It's not the weapons fault, but rather mine, for not using heavier bullets and not getting the best in shot placement (running game).

I've talked with other coyote hunters that have used calibers larger than .22 and their success rate has gone up, due to the cartridge's power to knock the animal down...with marginal shot placement. Understand, I'm not trying to compensate for poor shot placement, but rather kill with more authority and less "run offs".

RedCloud said:
I plan on using the 68gr. Hornady V-Max powered by 21gr. of IMR 3031 powder :D.
RedCloud,
Let me know how that 68gr. bullet works. Sounds like a thumper.

I've always used IMR-3031 for light weight bullets, because it's a faster burning powder. The slower burn rate of IMR-4064 or 4895, has been my favorite for heavy weight bullets.

If that combination is working for you, great! You can't argue with success. :smiley_blink:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
RedCloud,
Let me know how that 68gr. bullet works. Sounds like a thumper.

I've always used IMR-3031 for light weight bullets, because it's a faster burning powder. The slower burn rate of IMR-4064 or 4895, has been my favorite for heavy weight bullets.

If that combination is working for you, great! You can't argue with success. :smiley_blink:

I will go pop a couple at the range tomorrow and post the target pics. Gives me a reason to go to the range and play lol. The only thing that sucks is the range is only 93yards :(. There is another range about 45min. drive that is 200 yards but I can't get down there and shoot.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The wife and I saw one last night less than a quarter mile from our house in the cut bean field. That is the closest I have ever seen one to the house.